• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Daft CPU overclocking question...

Associate
Hi All

Ok, I'm puzzled (a little)...

If I buy a E6600 CPU and oc it to 2.93Ghz as an example, would it perform the same as a E6800 at stock. If yes, why would someone pay 3 times more for a E6800? If I'm being a complete numpty, just say ;)

Soldato
f1racer said:
Hi All

Ok, I'm puzzled (a little)...

If I buy a E6600 CPU and oc it to 2.93Ghz as an example, would it perform the same as a E6800 at stock. If yes, why would someone pay 3 times more for a E6800? If I'm being a complete numpty, just say ;)

Yes it would perform the same as a 6800. People pay more because:

-Not everyone is into overclocking
-Usually a higher clocked cpu is able to reach slightly higher clock speeds than an oem lower speed cpu
-Many people are ignorant

Associate
Ive always found it strange that Intel sells the E6300 @ 1.86ghz, if these processors can overclock to 3.2ghz on air and beyond why are the stock speeds so low, why not 2ghz instead of 1.86?

Associate
Ĵ@®√!گ said:
Ive always found it strange that Intel sells the E6300 @ 1.86ghz, if these processors can overclock to 3.2ghz on air and beyond why are the stock speeds so low, why not 2ghz instead of 1.86?

well that means they can release more CPUs later and make more money.

if they released E6300 at 2 they would hit their limit sooner then later.

Associate
Of course your right but the difference between 1.86ghz and 2ghz is 0.14mhz, surely that couldnt make that much of a difference when hitting their limit? Im no expert but when you look at the E6700 and the X6800 it would seem that the only difference is a slight speed increase 0.26mhz for an extra £300+. Am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom