Associate
Hi Guys,

A little help of you dont mind.

My Rig is as the following.

Asus p5q Deluxe M/B
Q6700
4Gb DDR2 800MHz (Just standard Kingston) :mad:
Artic Freezer 7
7 x 80mm case fans, 2 Drawing in from the front, 2 pushing from the back, 1 drawing from the side and 2 on push/pull on the top.

I used to be able to get 3.6GHz out of this on my older asus p5w DH deluxe but since i have cahnged to the new MB that is ment to better for OC'ing i can only get 3.33GHz to get that i need the following.

FSB: 333
CPU V: 1.34
NB V: 1.50 (Not really tried dropping it yet)
DRAM 5.5.5.15 2.2v

on full load I am hitting 90c that is way to hot. the only thing that is different is the direction the cooler is facing. it was facing out the back but now it is facing up because of the NB heatsinks.

Also i noticed that the new board has the 8pin CPU power plug, my PSU only has 4pins. Do i really need the 8pin?

What setting should i be looking at to get the best out of the q6700, why have i got such high temps, and what memory should i be looking to get as a replacment?

thanks guys, I just want my 3.6Ghz back.

Soldato
Nah, don't need the 8 pin cpu power. The 4 pin is two 12V, two earth. The 8 pin is four 12V, four earth. Doesn't matter very much.

Temperatures are why you're not getting it to run faster. Loads of voltage headroom, but you've got to get it colder. What cooler, and what case? Tried remounting, since 90 degrees normally means the mount went wrong?

The ram is fine up to 400fsb and probably higher, leave it be for the time being.

1.5V on the northbridge is a bad call. Lower that significantly or the board will run far too hot and stability will suffer as a result, much like the cpu.

If remounting doesn't help, get a photo up and we'll try to solve airflow issues.

Cheers

Caporegime
Regarding the cooler, i had to bend the bottom 3 fins downwards at each side to clear the mobo heatsinks on my p5q dlx so that it would exhaust out the back, also had to sand the corners of the fan housing to clear them, with the freezer i found it okish for 3.3-3.4ghz on a q6600, for 3.4ghz all i done was set the cpu pll, fsb term and nb to +0.02v above the auto setting, 1.5v on the nb is extremely high on theese boards.

Associate
OP
Well, Just reset the CPU, move the cooler facing the back again and got the temps down to 85c on full load. Better but still cooking. what do you guys think of the new Corsair H50 water kit, Will it help me much? What should i get the OC to with one of them?

Caporegime
Ive never used the H50, but when i was using the freezer 7, my temps were hitting 77c. I switched it over for a thermalright ultra extreme cpu cooler, this dropped my temps by a signifigant margin which enabled me to push to 3.6ghz. General opinion is that the H50 is on a par with high end air cooling.

Back
Top Bottom