Damned hot weather :(

Soldato
I currently appear to be sitting at a slightly tropical 25ºC, as apparently the tender mercies of a wide-open window are insufficient to lower my room temperature. Of some concern is what's going to happen in a couple of months, as apparently the outside temperature is only about 15ºC :eek:

So as of about 9am this morning, before I was awake, it appears my 9600GT started getting a bit toasty - I think that's what it was - and started causing a BSOD every half-hour or so :( within about 5mins of it restarting, I noticed it was hovering just under the 100ºC :eek: and the 8800GT not far behind.

So I've had to reduce my overclocks on two of my graphics cards :( anyone else suffering from this reduction in folding power?

Don
I'm not looking forward to the summer, really really, I know that the heating will go off, but its going to be rather hot! give me a good old british summer where it rains and its ALWAYS cold! :)

Stelly

Soldato
OP
I was just wondering that :confused:

Yep, my problem is that the heating is already off! Besides, I only have a piddling little radiator that's about a foot and a half wide (normal height) which probably puts out less heat than a hard drive. Which is actually a good thing, just in case it was broken and didn't turn off, which it isn't. :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I really need to move things around. In my computer room at the moment, I have three rigs - one i7 with the GTX295, one i7 and the little Q6600 rig with the 8800GTX. They're all in one corner at the opposite side of the room from the open window. My armchair is in front of the window. Consequently, I get a draught on the back of my neck when I'm watching telly/movies/reading etc and sweat profusely when I use any of the PCs. I really need to move the furniture/PCs around so the PCs are all next to the open window to maximise cooling.

I'm not having any issues with temps at the moment since the two i7 rigs are watercooled and the little mATX rig is only slightly above stock and runs cool.

The two other rigs (one in the living room and one in the bedroom) are both fine at the moment - sitting at around 70-75C.

Soldato
OP
Heh, yes I had that problem until I shifted things around!
Watercooling is nice, my CPU was running hot but not over the top like a couple of the air-cooled graphics cards. Although I am tempted by the OCZ phase cooler :D

BTW, if anyone sees a 940/950/etc going for <£200, I'm in the market for one ;) I want a higher multiplier!

Soldato
Summer absolutely destroys my bedroom. I am tempted to buy a portable Air-Con unit this year - yes it is that bad! :eek: My bedroom is South-facing so gets probably 95% of the Sun every day, and with the massive humidity we get here in Britain, it can be unbearable. :(

Luckily my hottest rig, the server, lives in the attic. There is a nice breeze up there, but I am still concerned it is going to get toasted - my GTX260's are already in the mid 70s. Shall see how it goes!

Associate
Not looking forward to it tbh, although its me i'm worried about not the pc!

My rig is watercooled, and temps never reach 60/50 (cpu/gpus) even in the summer, however my uni room is south facing, and has two floors with no windows on the upper floor = massive heat trap upstairs.

Bed is hard mounted on the upper floor, so i have to sleep up there! We'll see how long i can go before rig has to go not-on.

In an attempt to avoid revision i'm working on an improvised cooling system for my room, I've already calculated the heat/mass tranfer requirements, just need to find the cash and spec the fans and ducting (thinking tumble dryer hose+gaffer tape+cardboard diffusers+floor fans) its gonna look... erm... interesting.

Soldato
Not looking forward to it tbh, although its me i'm worried about not the pc!

My rig is watercooled, and temps never reach 60/50 (cpu/gpus) even in the summer, however my uni room is south facing, and has two floors with no windows on the upper floor = massive heat trap upstairs.

Bed is hard mounted on the upper floor, so i have to sleep up there! We'll see how long i can go before rig has to go not-on.

In an attempt to avoid revision i'm working on an improvised cooling system for my room, I've already calculated the heat/mass tranfer requirements, just need to find the cash and spec the fans and ducting (thinking tumble dryer hose+gaffer tape+cardboard diffusers+floor fans) its gonna look... erm... interesting.

I was thinking about something along the same lines i.e tumble dryer hose etc, you think its possible to get a foil type hose or line your own with bacofoil? Would be interesting to see what you come up with keep us updated please :)

Soldato
Problem with that is it will be facing the wrong way! Unless you jump it all the way into the room, then u-turn and park it out the hole. Then chop the arse off it! :D

Soldato
Thought I would work on a blue print for our ideas...!

car_aircon.jpg

:cool:

Soldato
I am intrigued with this idea of cooling and after 4 cuppas and a pack of hob nobs i also took on Marines advice on multi platform support. I declare the new gtx 480 cooling system pattented...which is just as well....you know whats going to happen with more than one....:D

Back
Top Bottom