Damned hot weather :(

Soldato
ha ha, lol at this thread!!

Back on topic, I've just impulse bought one of these for £9.99 from a high street electronic components shop:

l58bf.jpg

It's a 12V solar charger for trickle charging a car battery. I'm thinking I could get this on the roof of the shed to power an intake + exhaust fan for the shed to keep cooler air moving into the shed in summer. Don't know if it will be enough to run 2 fans but if not it can live in the boot of the car.

It is rated at 17.5V, 1.5W. I've just tested with a multimeter and it's giving 22.5V, 0.08 amp in direct sunlight, I need to find some fans that will work with it now.

Soldato
Damn my CPU is getting toasty! Two cores regularly hit 90C. Highest temp so far is 93! :eek:

I have used CoreTemps Overheat Protection as I just know it's going to get worse sooner or later. I have set it to run a script that kills my folding client if it reaches 95C :D

Associate
I've just impulse bought one of these for £9.99 from a high street electronic components shop:

I bought one of those a couple of years back hoping to keep a car battery charged up and to recharge the iPod. Thing is soooo rubbish it can't even keep the battery charged :(

Soldato
I bought one of those a couple of years back hoping to keep a car battery charged up and to recharge the iPod. Thing is soooo rubbish it can't even keep the battery charged :(

:( that doesn't sound promising. I'll try hooking it up to a standard 120mm fan to see, if I can drag myself away from BC2 for long enough that is.

Associate
back to thread, one of my rigs collapsed from being too hot, and one was throttling like mad. sigh. i might have to keep some rigs off to reduce heat in this room :(
either that or must remember to turn the fan on when i leave....

Soldato
OP
With a fan grill the other end to keep birds out :p

Anyway, you'll do better to slightly reduce your o/c on all rigs than to turn some off, productionwise. There's still a big temperature gradient between room temperature and core temperatures, so the heatsink is the main limiting factor, not the room temperature.

Soldato
I've moved my folder down to a lower slightly cooler shelf in the shed. The rig has completely crashed and shut down twice in the last few weeks.

After restarting, when I checked at the end of a sunny day one of the cards was at 110 degrees and still folding fine, so I don't want to think about what temps it crashed at! I've also underclocked the cpu and gpu cores some more, and I've now a fan blowing hot air into the middle of the shed, there is cold air at the bottom as the floor is concrete so trying to get that moving around a bit.

Soldato
That's the real killer really. It can be even a fairly mild day outside, but if the air isn't moving enough in an enclosed room with all that hardware chugging away it's going to get unbearable - for you and your machines.

I always have at least one window open in my room, and get a fan going if it's really warm. Sometimes I leave my bedroom door open to create a proper big draft through the room! Though I don't like having my door wide open all the time, so it has to be sitting in my shorts and still dying kinda hot!

Soldato
OP
Well I returned from a few days away from home earlier today and was somewhat perturbed to find my room temperature had passed 30ºC :o
Still, I was happy to note that my CPU temperature remained below 80ºC on all cores :D
The graphics cards remain a cause for concern, two of them hovering between 90 and 100ºC. If I'm not careful, I'm gonna lose a capacitor too :(

Slightly more concerning was that my window was wide open, but even that was failing to keep temperatures at a reasonable level :(

Back
Top Bottom