Dark Power Pro 12 1200W

Associate
Well first post here and hoping for some advice from the vast knowledge base here.

Recently I had to RMA a Silverstone PSU to Overclockers, I turned the rear power switch on it made a crack noise and gave out a really funky smell.

I walked out the room for twenty minutes thinking I had killed the PC, after gathering myself I walked back in the room and the PC was sat at the desktop. I definitely seen a flash from the PSU and the smell defiantly came from it.

Anyway I reported this to Overclockers, they was really great and accepted the RMA without issue, I needed a new PSU ASAP and couldn't wait as my system is used for production and some gaming.

So I purchased the Be quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1200W on next day delivery, I bundled the old PSU back to Overclockers and taken delivery of the new on the same day.

Outerbox looked fine so I taken delivery, upon opening outer box I notice the PSU box is battered, flaps hanging off and corners smashed in, looked like it had been kicked here from Stoke.

Everything on the inside looked fine so even tho the PSU boxed was battered (and it's a really nice box) I went ahead and installed the PSU.

Upon noticing the system was powering up fine after installation and running fine under stress tests I powered down, switched off at the rear removed the GPU and started tidying and combing all the new cables as well as moving some headers around.

When placing the GPU back in I noticed the power light for the Motherboard was lit up still after an hour and being switched off at the rear, I then noticed my headphones was charging no problem.

After double and triple checking the rear power switch It was indeed off but it's like the PSU is still pushing 5V even when switched off at the PSU.

My understanding after many years with PC's "built my first in 1997" was that off means off when the PSU power switch is in the OFF position and all power to the motherboard ceases?

Final issue is that the PSU fan ramps up to what I believe full speed for about two seconds, but this is completely random and even when idle and minimal load, I've removed the case filter for the PSU and left the side flaps down and it still happens.

Would anyone agree that this PSU is defective?

Just thought I'd get a few opinions as I don't want the guys at overclockers thinking I'm taking the mickey.

I'll attach a link to a video of me showing the problem, it's about 5 mins and I apologise for the rambling both here and on the video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mhd3ECS1Pg1EsGJCA

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom