Dashcams!

Associate
Seriously considering mounting a camera on my rear screen in my Golf, don't really want anything too big.

It will be powered from the 12v socket in the boot, cant really see much point in hardwiring it in.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, quite like the look of the Thinkware F50 ;)

I really like the Thinkware F770 2 channel setup though.

Cheers all

Commissario
I'm not sure if Health and Safety would approve of this, I wondered why the traffic was moving oddly as I approached.
http://www.werewolvesforhire.co.uk//images/ocuk/vids/notsureifhsapproves.mp4

There were some works just round the corner (same company), so I'm amazed they didn't put a few cones out at least (the standing guy had his back to the traffic a lot of the time as I went past).

Associate
I'm not sure if Health and Safety would approve of this, I wondered why the traffic was moving oddly as I approached.
http://www.werewolvesforhire.co.uk//images/ocuk/vids/notsureifhsapproves.mp4

There were some works just round the corner (same company), so I'm amazed they didn't put a few cones out at least (the standing guy had his back to the traffic a lot of the time as I went past).

That is how it used to be done and works well compared to today's H&S rules that require temporary traffic lights, cones, warning signs and all for a few minutes work.

Soldato

anker roav c1 this is. Obvious youtube compression on top and looks a bit better RAW but not amazing quality by any means. Adequate I'd say. Conditions are terrible in the above so it doesn't help to show off the camera but hey, that's the worst! clear day etc is much better.

Soldato
So, hopefully getting a new car this week IF i can get a dealer that doesn't suck.

Used to use my gopro in the audio, it's ok but certainly not great.

Having a look, either the F800 or considering buying a replacement rearview mirror and creating a raspi smart mirror, camera's, gps etc.

Anyone done anything like that?

Soldato
Thinking of picking up a dashcam to go with the new car, have had good experience with the Nextbase 312GW before. Seems to be selling for around £90 at the moment.

Would this be a decent way to go, or are there any options that are cheaper/better?

Man of Honour
Completely solved the skipping audio problems with the Mini0806 the other week by replacing the 128GB Sandisk Ultra with a 64GB (no 128GB available) Sandisk Endurance.

After much research, it turns out the only MicroSD cards suitable for high resolution video recording are Endurance ones from Sandisk, Lexar/Samsung etc. It's not a case of class ratings either, it's the oboard memory controllers and flash chips the Endurance ones use.

I'm trying to find an updated custom firmware for the high bitrate too if anyone knows of a source? The one from a year back is several versions out of date as the latest official one has various bug fixes.

Soldato
Is this the new 0806 (cheap and also good quality)? Looking for a rest facing camera and this one seems to be well regarded from what I can see.

VIOFO A119 V2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IM2EPJO

Not sure about new firmware for the 0806, I installed the modified one a few years back and have just left it. Not had any issues so not sure what fixes there were.

Soldato
Just replaced my Garmin Dash Cam 55 with a NextBase 512GW.

As nice as the video quality on the Garmin was, I couldn't be dealing with it rebooting/locking up all the time so returned it to Amazon. The extra features such as speed camera, lane departure and collision warnings all sounded very nice on the spec sheet and to be fair worked well, but ultimately were just gimmicks and meant you couldn't drive 2 minutes without it beeping at you for some reason or other.

Got to say the build quality and form factor on the Garmin was in another league to the Nextbase, but we'll see how things go. I bought the NextBase hardwire kit to enable Parking mode and this was very easy to install; looks like this works differently on the NextBase though, which shuts the unit down after 5 mins of inactivity and only activates parking mode when the G-sensor detects movement. The Garmin would record clips whenever it sensed movement via the camera, which made it a good security camera but I never considered just how often movement happens in front of a car; every little thing was triggering it to record, including the reflection of the blue LEDs on the dash which flash while the car is on charge; had to stick the user manual over the top of them in the end to stop the memory card filling up with useless video!

Initial thoughts on video quality are that it's not as sharp as the Garmin, and it seems to be struggling a bit with exposure on a bright day, but I'll have a play around as I've seen some suggestions that I need to lower the camera angle slightly to include more dash in the shot; at the moment you can just see the base of the windscreen.

Associate
Just replaced my Garmin Dash Cam 55 with a NextBase 512GW.

As nice as the video quality on the Garmin was, I couldn't be dealing with it rebooting/locking up all the time so returned it to Amazon. The extra features such as speed camera, lane departure and collision warnings all sounded very nice on the spec sheet and to be fair worked well, but ultimately were just gimmicks and meant you couldn't drive 2 minutes without it beeping at you for some reason or other.

Got to say the build quality and form factor on the Garmin was in another league to the Nextbase, but we'll see how things go. I bought the NextBase hardwire kit to enable Parking mode and this was very easy to install; looks like this works differently on the NextBase though, which shuts the unit down after 5 mins of inactivity and only activates parking mode when the G-sensor detects movement. The Garmin would record clips whenever it sensed movement via the camera, which made it a good security camera but I never considered just how often movement happens in front of a car; every little thing was triggering it to record, including the reflection of the blue LEDs on the dash which flash while the car is on charge; had to stick the user manual over the top of them in the end to stop the memory card filling up with useless video!

Initial thoughts on video quality are that it's not as sharp as the Garmin, and it seems to be struggling a bit with exposure on a bright day, but I'll have a play around as I've seen some suggestions that I need to lower the camera angle slightly to include more dash in the shot; at the moment you can just see the base of the windscreen.

Have you adjusted the polarizer on the lens properly, put a sheet of white paper on the centre of the dashboard, turn the ring on the lens until the reflection on your windscreen nearly disappears.

It might make quite a difference.

Cheers all

Soldato
RE mounting the above camera on my rear window - I've ordered a coiled micro usb cable and I'm going to 3d print a clip to hold the cable in place, will post results if it comes out well.

Soldato
Have you adjusted the polarizer on the lens properly, put a sheet of white paper on the centre of the dashboard, turn the ring on the lens until the reflection on your windscreen nearly disappears.

It might make quite a difference.

Cheers all

I've tweaked the filter already so I can't see any dash reflections, but haven’t tried with a piece of white paper yet.

Back
Top Bottom