David Cameron: 'We need to end stigma of mental health'

Soldato
David Cameron has called for the nation to focus on mental health after a review revealed inadequate, underfunded care, leading to "thousands of tragic and unnecessary deaths".
The report - by a taskforce set up by NHS England - said around three-quarters of people with mental health problems received no help at all.
David Cameron admitted not enough had been done to end the stigma of mental health

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35582745

Personally I feel that when mental illness is mentioned, there is stigma because a lot people simply do not understand it. Everyone's experience is different whether it be, depression, bi-polar, personality disorders... the list goes on.
The problem stems from people trying to get on with it, in the fear that if they mention it, then they are 'defeated' in some form. That simply isn't true, and those who think it does need to read into it more.
If less stigma was associated with mental illness, then more individuals will seek help.

What are your thoughts on this?

Soldato
OP
+1

The waiting times are atrocious. South London wait times for children alone is 1 year! At such a critical age when thy are at school and developing.

They now reply with a standardised letter they send when you refer to psychiatry mentioning their lack of resources and apologise for the wait.

When I was 15, I had to wait around 6 months to be able to see a psychiatrist, and even then, I had to come back a month or so later for a 'benchmark' to see what the best way to proceed was.

Back
Top Bottom