DDR5 64GB RAM

Associate
Bought some Kingston Beast RGB RAM 5600 64GB, have to say it's a great overclocker, currently have it at 6800Mhz, and it will even boot at 7200Mhz however my biggest issue is heat, holy crap running the TM5 and OCCT tests it was chugging out more heat than my CPU! CPU was around 60-65C on average and each stick was throwing out around 70-72C. :eek::cry:

Does anyone have a similar experience? Recommend RAM coolers perhaps? Change the HS on the RAM possibly?

Associate
What’s your ram setup?

Any fans brining cold fresh air in and over the DIMMS?

Ideally you’d want active cooling over the RAM modules but even gentle airflow will help.

There are RAM coolers with two small fans pointed directly down onto the modules - they would help but may be noisy at high speeds.

I’d just make sure that there were two PWM fans with high static pressure stats pushing cool air over the motherboard and RAM modules.

That should drop the temperatures by a good bit and I’ve done a quick google and all of the top-down RAM air coolers are a bit janky.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Sorry to chime in here with my own questions ... But?

But and as far as my new build has went and mostly from OCUK, the only 64 GB ( 2 x 32GB ) DDR5 dual channel I could see was as in 2 modules only kit I saw was Corsair 5600MHz, so went for it ... ( I understand filling all four slots is a no go now and i dont need the disco lighting either ) also, i had considered 128 GB for the bling factor ... but realise now that was a silly notion ... I can use more than 32 GB though, DCS Military flight sim can easily bust 32GB in some maps, so next logical step was 64 GB ... you cant go 33 GB after all :)

So with that all said and done and my 2 x 32GB DDR 5 = 64GB working fine at advertised speed of 5600, would there be any really benefit in me choosing better ram with faster speeds? the OP is talking about 7000 speeds and lots of heat, crashes and unstability ... I couldnt be doing with that hassle but I now feel perhaps my ram could be faster without dropping stability, would a jump from 64GB DDR5 from stock 5600 speeds offer me any real benfit in the Flight Simulations I mostly play?

Honest question.

Associate
Sorry to chime in here with my own questions ... But?

But and as far as my new build has went and mostly from OCUK, the only 64 GB ( 2 x 32GB ) DDR5 dual channel I could see was as in 2 modules only kit I saw was Corsair 5600MHz, so went for it ... ( I understand filling all four slots is a no go now and i dont need the disco lighting either ) also, i had considered 128 GB for the bling factor ... but realise now that was a silly notion ... I can use more than 32 GB though, DCS Military flight sim can easily bust 32GB in some maps, so next logical step was 64 GB ... you cant go 33 GB after all :)

So with that all said and done and my 2 x 32GB DDR 5 = 64GB working fine at advertised speed of 5600, would there be any really benefit in me choosing better ram with faster speeds? the OP is talking about 7000 speeds and lots of heat, crashes and unstability ... I couldnt be doing with that hassle but I now feel perhaps my ram could be faster without dropping stability, would a jump from 64GB DDR5 from stock 5600 speeds offer me any real benfit in the Flight Simulations I mostly play?

Honest question.
I don't honestly know to answer your question as I can't really see any memory scaling review with DCS Military flight sim.

HU did a memory scaling review below with other games so watch that and I'm sure you'll know which one of the games they look at is closer to the type of game/uses the same gaming engine as DCS Military flight sim.

IMO I think you're not going to notice a difference.

Associate
OP
Sorry all, I've not replied sooner, as I've been on holiday.

Got it sorted, bought this dual RAM cooler from China on eBay for £15, screws into the motherboard (need to remove 2 screws and install standoffs) and works a treat, it's not noisy either compared to the rest of the fans and looks fairly decent. Temps are now max around 55-58C (depending on which stick) while running testmem5 Absolut profile for 6 hours straight. Got it at 6800Mhz at the moment at C34, need to do a bit of tuning with the secondary timings though as the latency is average, however, no problems at all. I'm aiming for 7200Mhz but I've ordered some hybrid copper heat spreaders from the Chinese app, will keep you updated.

hKO3Wxg.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What's the real world benefit though?
More fps in game?
Better render times?

What are you attempting to achieve?
Raptor Lake scales extremely well with RAM speed but tops out at around 8200-ish (which is only possible on 2-DIMM boards at the moment) so the faster the RAM, the better FPS and performance you get, unlike Ryzen where the performance tops out at 6400Mhz even though the new AGESA BIOS allows it to hit 8000+.

Permabanned
No, it’s less reliant on the speed of the ram due to the cache. You don’t get the performance gains by using faster, tighter ram

Thanks, have same CPU and motherboard as you but with new RTX 4090 OC now, so my current ram is Corsair dual channel 2 x 32 GB = 64 GB DDR 5 5600 MHz ... it was the fastest dual channel 2 x 32 GB = 64 GB kit on OcUK's site at time of purchase about 6 weeks ago, would have proffered 6400 MHz but wasnt about to go filling all 4 ram slots as I know that's p;tentially a bad idea ... so basically what you are saying is ... I wouldn't notice any difference with even 6400 MHz on this CPU, right?

Sorry I seem a bit dense, old now and need to be sure :)

Man of Honour
so basically what you are saying is ... I wouldn't notice any difference with even 6400 MHz on this CPU, right?

Yes.

Look here (10 game average, @ 7:25):

Note the use of 1080p too, the difference shrinks at higher resolutions.

Soldato
Thanks, have same CPU and motherboard as you but with new RTX 4090 OC now, so my current ram is Corsair dual channel 2 x 32 GB = 64 GB DDR 5 5600 MHz ... it was the fastest dual channel 2 x 32 GB = 64 GB kit on OcUK's site at time of purchase about 6 weeks ago, would have proffered 6400 MHz but wasnt about to go filling all 4 ram slots as I know that's p;tentially a bad idea ... so basically what you are saying is ... I wouldn't notice any difference with even 6400 MHz on this CPU, right?

Not much benefit and like Tetras stated it shrinks with high resolutions.

I suspect your current ram would run at 6000+ anyway. So some slight gains if your prepared to tweak. Just make sure you backup your OS before you tweak. Its very easy to corrupt your OS playing with your RAM.

Associate
OP
Hi there,
Which version did you buy? After 64GB that will do 6000 at CL30 or better. I’m assuming these are Dual Rank Hynix A Die?
I'm guessing if you are aiming for 6000Mhz you've got an AMD chip. I bought the Kingston Beast RGB 2x32GB, 5600MHz C40, don't quote me but I think the C36 (Expo) and the C40 (XMP) are the same A die chip BUT I'm not sure all are A die, some could be M die so it might be a dice roll but with a good chance. I could get 6400-6600Mhz at C32, so I'm assuming 6200-6000 you could get it at C30 but it will still get hot and need cooling, especially after a period of time and start to show instability/crashes. I'm currently on 7000Mhz at C34 100% stable, one more push and I can get it to 7200Mhz but tuning DDR5 is painful.:rolleyes:

Soldato
Hynix A Die is the memory to get because it gives you options. With the X3D chips it makes very little difference, for me it would just be for getting the maximum benefit with your hardware. I suppose that’s what differentiate us from the norm.

I trashed my OS this morning tweaking the CO and memory, not sure which one did it. Error‘s all over the place. Luckily I have a daily backup but it still took me most of the day to restore the backup and get back to where I was. Oh the pain!

Back
Top Bottom