DDR5 new build. No post

Associate
Hi,

I’ve just started a new build and I’m having an issue with no post. I’ve been through the regular checking of components and cables, built the pc outside and inside of the case with no luck.

The pc powers up, motherboard LED flashes from CPU to DRAM and eventually hangs on DRAM, after about 40 seconds I receive four continuous beeps and then the pc power cycles. I’ve removed the GPU, disconnected any unnecessary USB devices and continued.

Things I’ve tried;

Seated the CPU again, checked for bent pins on the motherboard. All OK.
Tried single sticks in all four DIMMS, same issue with no change.
Tried no RAM installed to double check for beep codes, with the flashing between LED’s faster the outcome is the same. Four/half then a power cycle. All power connections checked for bad connections. Including 24/8/4. Cleared CMOS.

Components;

GIGABYTE Z690 GAMING X REV 1.0
Intel 12900k
Kingston FURY BEAST 32gb dual channel kit 5200MHz PART NUMBER;

(KF552C40BBK2-32).

Now, I’ve been on gigabytes website and noticed the 32gb kit is not listed on the motherboards compatibility list. Upon discovering this I went to the BIOS updates for the motherboard and noticed the latest update for the board allows for better compatibility with G. Skill memory, now I’m wondering whether it’s worth flashing the BIOS via Q-Flash (in case there are issues with the Kingston ram as well)? Or perhaps the memory really isn’t compatible with the board?

Considering this is a new build I don’t have any spare motherboards or RAM to test, these are my two main components I’m concerned about. I’ve requested an RMA for the RAM, however I’m unsure with the compatibility issue.

If you have any suggestions or ideas that I could try that would be great. I know this forum is full of knowledge!

TLDR;

PC won’t post, DDR5 memory hangs on the LED readout on the motherboard (DRAM). Power cycles after four long continuous beeps. Then starts the cycle again. No output to screen.

Thank you,

Greg

Associate
Try a bios update for sure.

Go double check every single connection, literally every single connection.

Make sure you aren't over tightening your CPU cooler.
Check there is no grounding issues (e.g. are all your motherboard standoffs correctly installed?)

Try without a gpu, go barebones as possible see if there is any sign of life.

Associate
Wouldnt be first gigabyte board I have had to do a bios update on. Not saying gigabyte bad but had to update bios few times on their boards for compatability.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

thank you for the replies and advice. I did RMA the ram just to be sure, replaced with another set of ram. It seems to have done the trick, the pc post this morning. The current BIOS version is F2 which according to Gigabytes website doesn’t exist on that board.. so I will be updating the BIOS when I have some time off.

Thank you for the advice though!!

Associate
I am having the exact same issue with that set up just a slight different version of the ram

- Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 PC5-44800C40 5600MHz Dual Channel Kit

thank you for posting about the issue and how you fixed it just packed and RMA the ram today so hopefully that will fix my issue too!

Associate
OP
Hi mate,

There seems to be an issue with DDR5 and Alder lake in general. I switched to Corsair 4800mhz ram in the end. XMP is set and it’s the most reliable pc I’ve ever built.

If you still have issues, there’s a YouTube video (jayztwocents) regarding issues with the 12th gen. Apologies if quoting YouTube is prohibited.

Hope it resolves your issues mate

Associate
Hi mate,

There seems to be an issue with DDR5 and Alder lake in general. I switched to Corsair 4800mhz ram in the end. XMP is set and it’s the most reliable pc I’ve ever built.

If you still have issues, there’s a YouTube video (jayztwocents) regarding issues with the 12th gen. Apologies if quoting YouTube is prohibited.

Hope it resolves your issues mate
That's more to do with using 4 DIMMs at the same time with high speed RAM (6000 MT/s) rather than 4800 or 5200 2 DIMM kits.

I do think that RAM timings and compatibility does need to be updated and refined with Alderlake and DDR5 but slower kits should work fine.

Associate
So thought I would keep this updated.

Ram has been tested and confirmed working by OCUK so looks like ill try the Bios update and see what happens when I get the set back.

Cheers for the video link maybe I was not letting the system do tests and load up after a few loops as he even shows that it can take a while each time you move the sticks.

Associate
So thought I would keep this updated.

Ram has been tested and confirmed working by OCUK so looks like ill try the Bios update and see what happens when I get the set back.

Cheers for the video link maybe I was not letting the system do tests and load up after a few loops as he even shows that it can take a while each time you move the sticks.
YeH it can take a while to post.

I remember thinking my system was bricked the first time I booted it because the memory training takes ages.

Back
Top Bottom