De-corporate'ing a pc

Soldato
Hi all,

Work were throwing away some old p3 1 gig pcs so decided to get one. I am currently trying to de corporate it... ive done everything ie take it off the domain etc, but there still seems to be some policies running - ie I cant change the wallpaper even when logged in as admin. How can I stop them?

Thanks

Last edited:
Permabanned
...running win2k ?
(me guessing here, not a win2k machine to hand)

start the System Policy Editor - click "Start", "Run", and type "poledit" in the text box.

locate the relevant section under desktop (I think)

umm, ...we are still running P3 1Ghz machines, and your company is chucking them away ?
you must live south of watford.
:)

-----------------

ah, you got there there already :)

(edit: for those still reading, For XP click "Start", "Run", and type "gpedit.msc")

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
gpedit did the trick.

We're mostly on 3.2ghz p4's now at our main offices with citrix. Lots of remote sites, about 1400 users.

Last edited:
Soldato
my work machines a p3 500, and that was one i aquired from another department was a p200 (non -mmx) till recently. Still run NT4 :(

Soldato
You are lucky, or unlucky depending on how you look at it, most businesses remove and destroy old HDDs when scrapping or passing on a computer.
As you have already solved the problem I will shut up now.

Permabanned
I would have thought corporate policy would be that you would have to completely flatten the HD and install a fresh O/S so little niggles like remaining GPs being applied/ reg keys locked into the image shouldnt be an issue.

Unless there is personal info stored on the machine (which in a networked enterprise environment ideally there shouldnt be) I really don't see any reason to torture yourself undoing the corporate gunk installed from their OS image :)

Back
Top Bottom