Dead AKG K702 - what to do next?

Associate
Hey guys - so I treated my self to a pair of AKG K702 headphones just before Christmas. Absolutely loved them for a few weeks, then today the right can just cut out mid game session. Now i'd read about fixing this issue, by reattaching the often badly soldiered red wire, but noticed when I was doing the bass mod on them (removed the little stickers on the drivers) that AKG seem to changed their design slightly and now heatwrap all the connections on both sides. This makes finding the loose wire or bad connection much more difficult, and i'm not going to try slicing off the heatshrink on the nice new headphones.

So I'm returning them for a refund, as I have doubts about the QC and build quality now - I really babied them and they lasted two weeks. The K712 were my other option for the extra bass fun, but although they're made in Europe still the wiring/connections still have the same weak points. I didn't really want to shell out a lot more for anything crazy like Senny HD6xx but I do really like reliability too.

Anyone else bought K702/K712/K7xx recently and had similar problems or have any recommendations? Thanks in advance :)

*edit* I need detachable cables - I have cats, children and scissors in the house ;)

Associate
OP
Yes the bass mod was just to try to get a bit closer to the K712 sound, without having to pay the extra £100. Sorry the extra note bit about the cable was just in case anyone recommended something else but with a fixed cable.

Back
Top Bottom