Dead mobo or cpu, but which?

Soldato
3900x and Gigabyte X570 Aorus pro.

Today my pc threw a load of bluescreens (mostly irql_not_less_or_equal) at me before giving in the ghost (I can upload the minidumps if that will help, think they pointed to ntoskrnl). Now I can get power but no display signal, the motherboard LEDs go through CPU, DRAM before stopping on GPU where it stays without reaching the BOOT led.

I tried clearing the CMOS, using a different PCI-E slot and an old GPU in the system with the same result, and tried my current gpu on an old system I had lying around, which also booted fine, so that removes the GPU from being an issue.

I'm guessing it's a motherboard issue since the post LED cycles through the CPU fine, but figured I'd check in here (and also welcome any other suggestions to try in the meantime).

Thanks in advance!

Associate
Try booting up with a single RAM module. Make sure all the connections are installed securely. After some quick search on google most people mention memory being the culprit.

Soldato
OP
Try booting up with a single RAM module. Make sure all the connections are installed securely. After some quick search on google most people mention memory being the culprit.

Huh, I'll give that a try, thanks. Though would it have passed the DRAM boot led if there was a memory issue?

I would run memtest to rule out the RAM, https://www.memtest86.com/
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the system isn't posting, so that's not really an option. That said, I did run memtest a couple of days ago while troubleshooting a different problem, and it passed 4 passes with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom