• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

Dead Space Black Screen

Associate
Hey all
Maybe it was too much to hope for EA to actually get something right.............

I installed this game from d2d, hardly seamless as I had to use EA's downloader. It's not automated and you have to extract and find the setu.exe yourself.
Upon starting the game I get a black screen. The noise is present and correct but the game aint talking to my monitor.

In the "dead space is awesome" thread the first post by AWPC mentions this:-

"Only tech problem I have found is a silly one. EA have gone OTT on the gfx options as game defaults to 800x600 @ 56Hz (CRT default res?) on startup so if you have a display which cannot support this mode you may get a blank screen and no display message and as the game does not get to the stage where it creates this file you are out of luck!!
Quick worksaround I found is to copy the following text into a file called: settings.txt and place this in: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Electronic Arts\Dead Space then obviously just edit the file to match your displays resolution (this is all on Vista 32bit).

Audio.MusicVol = 1.00000000
Audio.Output = 0.00000000
Audio.SFXVol = 1.00000000
Audio.Subtitles = false
Audio.VoiceVol = 1.00000000
Control.InvertX = false
Control.InvertY = false
Control.MouseSensitivity = 0.50000000
Control.Shock = false
Game.Played = 0
Misc.LastSaveSlot = 0
QualityOptions.ActorMotionBlur = true
QualityOptions.Bloom = true
QualityOptions.Blur = true
QualityOptions.ConfigType = 1
QualityOptions.Decals = true
QualityOptions.DoF = true
QualityOptions.EdgeAA = true
QualityOptions.Flare = true
QualityOptions.Glow = true
QualityOptions.ManipColor = true
QualityOptions.ShaderQuality = 2
QualityOptions.Shadows = 2
Window.Fullscreen = true
Window.Gamma = 0.50000000
Window.Height = 1200
Window.Hz = 60
Window.Left = 0
Window.State = 0
Window.Top = 0
Window.VSync = true
Window.Width = 1920"

I tried his suggestion to no avail.
I have unblocked the firewall, and set upto run as admin. (im on Vista 64)
I tried this old chesnut (BF2 anyone:rolleyes:) in the target line of the shortcut:- +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200 But alas, also to no avail. (that was a shot in the dark. don't even know if command line script is compatible for DS)

I have tried forcing my Nv CP presets and manually changing monitior res.
No fix.

I have looked at the EA official forum. There is a thread for V64 users. It basically says we £$%& again, take a ticket, post your prob/dx diag and we might get round to patching what shoulnt need patching.

Apart from the usual firewall/AV disables, change drivers etc etc I have found nothing of use.
Before I drag my sorry pc gamers ass up into the loft to retreive an ancient 15" crt. Then dig around for a dvi adapter..........................
Has anyone got any solutions please????:(

p.s.

God I wish this was distributed by Steam. I could have been playing and staining my pants brown by now..................

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Due to the massive community help I received I obviously could'nt wait to share all.....................

I seem to remember I reinstalled as per the EA downloader default file path. (I had tried to change the file path to another drive).
I suspect it was a DRM or EA downloader issue.
Worked perfectly after that anyway.

Back
Top Bottom