Dealer Warranty

box

box

Associate
I picked up a used Mk5 Golf from a local trader a couple of months ago, which came with a 3 month 'MBI warranty on engine and gearbox'. While getting some work done last week, I was told that from the sound of the engine on startup it was likely my timing chain/tensioner had gone and would need replacing.

I don't really have much experience with used car warranties. Is this sort of thing going to be covered? And if so, am I likely to face a fuss?

box

box

Associate
OP
I bought the car on 65k and have done 1k since then. But the noise surfaced within the first 100 miles or so. I didn't think much of it until the garage mentioned it last week.

I was under the impression that the chain and tensioner should be good for the lifetime of the car, and so couldn't really be classed as wear and tear. Perhaps a call to VW to confirm wouldn't go amiss.

box

box

Associate
OP

Well damn! Now I feel pretty fortunate. Took the Golf down to a local VW indy as I wasn't happy with the tracking after a suspension fix. Had a good chat about the chain while I was there. Two of them took it out for a drive separately and both said it sounded fine. Although apparently it was pinking a bit. They've said it is likely a fuel quality issue, so have changed the fuel filter as a first step. They also recommended I try and use Shell as much as possible!

Back
Top Bottom