Decent Car phone holder

Soldato
Perhaps I just got a bad one, reviews stated it could hold an iPad but it couldn't hold my m8 or a friends iPhone 6.

Orientation comment was regarding the pic above, plus pics from Amazon reviews showing the majority holding the phone portrait. Landscape just seems so much nicer.

Soldato
I have a Spigen Kuel CD mount holder. The thumbscrew got in the way so I had to swap that out but other than that it's great. I have the one that grips the phone, not the magnetic one. It's £11 on the rainforest shop

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, I've just ordered an Aukey magnetic. I did try one of the cheaper magnetic ones but like Monkeyman i think I went to cheap and it wasn't capable of doing its job.

Soldato
Thanks guys, I've just ordered an Aukey magnetic. I did try one of the cheaper magnetic ones but like Monkeyman i think I went to cheap and it wasn't capable of doing its job.
Let us know how it compares, I liked the idea but the one I tried (Wuteku) was rubbish. Slightest knock from the side and it would go flying :o

Soldato
I use a CD player mount in my work car. Like others I never use CD's anyway. I prefer it to my Airframe clone as it allows me to still use all my vents and the phone itself is in a better position.

Just bought a cheap magnetic one from ebay for the MX5 as propping it up in front of the speedo is only fine as long as I accelerate at glacial rates. TBH looking at it it may well be a case of buy cheap buy twice but I'll give it a go.

Caporegime
I've been using a Spigen Stealth for about 6 months now, best phone holder I've ever used. It doesn't "stick" to the dash as such, it has a non-slip, slightly adhesive pad on the bottom to stop it sliding around and when I'm not using it I simply take it off the dash and fling it in the door pocket. When the pad loses it's stickiness, I simply wipe it clean and it's good to go for a couple of months again.

Soldato
Plus am I the only one that wants the phone held in landscape? :p

No. I also think it just looks strange in portrait mode.

EDIT: I will also ask though. Am I the only one who just leaves their phone in their pocket when driving? I mean, it connects fine to bluetooth when I turn the car on, and can answer it fine from the headunit.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
EDIT: I will also ask though. Am I the only one who just leaves their phone in their pocket when driving? I mean, it connects fine to bluetooth when I turn the car on, and can answer it fine from the headunit.

Nope, me too. Phone stays in pocket or centre console. I don't want it stick on my dash in some sort of crap looking holder and I don' really want anything to do with the phone whilst driving beyond perhaps taking the occasional call over Bluetooth.

Soldato
Nope, me too. Phone stays in pocket or centre console. I don't want it stick on my dash in some sort of crap looking holder and I don' really want anything to do with the phone whilst driving beyond perhaps taking the occasional call over Bluetooth.

Yes. I was sure there were gonna be a few things we could agree on, lol. I just don't get why anyone would want to see their phones sitting on display in their cars. It's not for me at all. I only used to put it in the centre console on the 5 series when I was using that eco pro analyser.

Having looked at all the suggestions so far though, I would probably go for that Spigen Stealth if I ever did want something. It looks like the least permanent, best secured solution.

Soldato

me 3, it's not as much about the looks, but mainly taking it out of ones pocket every time is just unnecessary faff when i can just hop in and go and music etc just connects.

fortunately, a 3 series ash tray also doubles as a near perfect place to set a phone on such occasions as i feel i need to, otherwise if its just for charging it goes in the centre console as thats where the charger is.

Soldato
I currently have a reasonable car phone holder but it is the kind with a "sucker" on it and occasionally when it gets hot it "unsucks" itself.
Also it is stuck on to a sticky pad which mounts on the dashboard, which is total rubbish.
I've put up with this setup now for quite some time but its time for a change.

I am probably 1 of a very select group of people who are totally ok with permanently fixing something to the dashboard with screws, my mondeo is 14 years old I am not bothered about a couple of screw holes in the dash when it comes time to sell/scrap.

What can you recommend ?

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5OnEvovj1QIV47ztCh24wgLfEAAYASAAEgL4VPD_BwE

Not the prettiest mounts you'll ever see, but they do exactly what the claim and are unbreakable.

Soldato
Yes. I was sure there were gonna be a few things we could agree on, lol. I just don't get why anyone would want to see their phones sitting on display in their cars. It's not for me at all. I only used to put it in the centre console on the 5 series when I was using that eco pro analyser.

If you use your phone as a sat nav it's quite useful to be able to see the screen.

Soldato
Both my phones connect to Bluetooth happily in my pocket but the sat nav elements are somewhat harder to use whilst in my pocket :p

Back
Top Bottom