deciding on a good psu

Soldato
i am looking at a hyper type r 580w or the tagan 480w (non modular) the tagan has upto 28amp on its 12v the hyper has 20amp

anyone got these psu's if so which was better?, how are your volt rails?

dont realy wanna spend much over £50-60 and i dont wanna make the mistake of buying a naff psu again thats gonna be as powerfull as a hand winded torch a year down the line

thanx

Daz

Associate
You can take a chance with any psu, they can all go pop, the better ones are not suppposed to take out anything else when they do. From the reviews, opinions, threads, that I have read, the psu is one thing that I find hard to recommend. Both you mention have it supporters and detractors, the hiper seems to get slated on a regular basis on xs, while the tagans have had their problems too. It all depends on your budget, for 50-60 you have

Akasa Ultra Quiet 460W

FSP Sparkle AX500-A Blue Storm 500W

Seasonic S12 430W Silent ATX2.0

Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular

Antec TruePower 2.0 430W PSU

Tagan TG480-U22 480W

If I was buying any of them, I would go for the FSP, purely based on past experience

Soldato
Get the most expensive PSU you can afford!

Most important component you will ever buy really as think about it for a moment this is your only link between the mains to your PC parts so a dodgy/weak/cheap one is more likely to take some other components with it if it ever goes wrong. Dodgy PSU can take fry the CPU/Mobo/Ram/Gfx+Sound Cards out.

Cheaper to buy an expensive one in the long run as it will also have a high build quality and many other premium features. Cannot praise the Antec Phantom 500 enough. Totally silent and acts as an additional heat sink for the case as it is one giant heatsink surrounding the PSU.

Antec Phantom 500W Hybrid Fan Silent ATX2.0 PSU (CA-036-AN)
Building upon the technology that made our revolutionary Phantom 350 power supply totally silent, the Phantom 500 with Antec's new Hybrid Fan technology, provides awesome power while continuing to offer the user an extremely quiet computing environment. Phantom 500 operates completely silently until its internal temperature reaches a user selected temperature, whereupon the fan turns on to balance high power performance with quiet computing.

- ATX12V version 2.01 compliant
- Dual +12V outputs
- Hybrid fan design
- Exceptional power efficiency up to 86% at full load
- 4 Serial ATA power connectors
- PCI-E graphic card power connector
- Fanless operation for absolutely silent computing. Three user selectable fan kick-in points for quiet computing under higher loads
- Specially designed internal heatsinks and chassis heatsink for maximum heat dissipation
Price: £94.95 (£111.57 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Soldato
OP
thanx for the replies guys/gals

just looking at the fsp but carnt seem to find any figures on ampage

found some and it seems the fsp is weak on amps only 15amps on the 12v rail

so its

1. tagan 480 18-28amp max load
2. hyper 580 20amp
3. fsp 15amp max load

ps if i wanted to spend £111 on a psu i would have said just stick to the budget

Associate
ive been using Thermaltake Purepower Butterfly 480w PSU for a year or so now .do a google for the above undelined text .Its the best psu i have ever had with the bonus of mad lighting built into the unit .

Man of Honour
Seasonic 600W for the win but it's a little untidy. Silent and very stable which is the main thing. Plenty of headroom for future upgrades

The Hyper are reported to be less effective and a bit noisy because the stuck an 80m fan on it for some reason.. The modular system makes it look great inside the case.. very tidy..

I've always thought that if the Seasonic was modular, it would be the best all rounder ever.

Associate
I'm using Tagan 480W, rock solid......
Only alternative I would look at is the Seasonic 500W+

My criteria was quality and quietness ... and both the above fall into that category.

Soldato
I have a volt meter connecter to my Hiper psu and the 12V only fluates by .04 volts which is very good.

This fluctuation only occurs under heavy graphics work like 3d mark 03.

The 5 Volts seems solid no movement.

Soldato
BigDom said:
For the record - Tagan supporter here :)

Same here.

I'd read a few bad things before I got mine, but I went ahead and ordered one anyway and it's been absolutely solid. Had it for nearly a year now. Quality stuff :)

Associate
found some and it seems the fsp is weak on amps only 15amps on the 12v rail

Its dual rail so 15x2 = 30amps.

Think this is right anyway, a 500w psu at 60 odd quid and made my FSP (top make) will not produce 15amps only. My 300w does that!

Go for the Bluestorm, Ive never heard a bad thing about these and first heard of them a few years ago, people loved them and seems like they still do.

Associate
Xplo said:
Its dual rail so 15x2 = 30amps.

Think this is right anyway, a 500w psu at 60 odd quid and made my FSP (top make) will not produce 15amps only. My 300w does that!

Go for the Bluestorm, Ive never heard a bad thing about these and first heard of them a few years ago, people loved them and seems like they still do.
Problem is if you can't combine the rail's you right run into power problems. Based on some reason revelations with some dual rail PSU's, the safest bet, until other people give solid information for other makes, is to go Tagan as you can combine the rails.

Back
Top Bottom