Decking Stain or Paint

Soldato
I'm seeking some advice regarding the best way to care for the decking steps in my garden. It has been in place since before I bough the house so and is probably about 5 - 10 years old, if not older. It wasn't in great condition when i moved in two years ago but most of my time has been spent dealing with other decorating / maintenance priorities.

I spent a good chunk of this afternoon jet washing and cleaning it with decking cleaner. It now look better but need some protection to survive the winter. I suspect it has been painted with a Ronseal decking stain at some point in the past (I have found a half used can that was left in the shed by a previous owner). However, I doubt it has received much care in the past 5 or so years. Most of the current stain has either peeled or been blasted off with the jet wash. The condition of the decking isn’t great. There are a few splits developing, some of the raised tread has come off in places and some of the boards on the lower steps have silvered due to UV exposure. I’m looking for some advice on how best to preserve it going forwards. I am aware that the decking further up is in much worse condition and is sagging due a support joist rotting through, but that is a job for next year.

VX1mm5p.jpg
dbM3WF9.jpg

I understand that there are several options: oil, stain or decking paint. Is there one that is recommend for long term protection? I'm I see either Cuprinol anti-slip Decking Stain or Ronseal Ultimate protection stain seem to be the most recommended options. However, are the other alternatives, such as decking paint, that would be recommended instead due to the poor condition of the decking? Also are there any additional things I need to do before applying the stain / paint?

Soldato
Our decking was in pretty poor condition when we moved in. I have used decking rescue paint once a year since. It's just about hanging in there, but will probably need ripping out and replacing next year.

I blast mine clear of debris and loose paint with a pressure washer then let it dry completely before painting.

I don't think stain is much use on decking that is in poor condition.

Last edited:
Associate
Personally, I would use one the the main brands of stain rather than paint, same as you have found from your research.
The only reason I would use paint would be perhaps for a matching ornamental effect to other garden fences or furniture.

As the decking is not in tip top condition and might need to be replaced a few years down the line I think stain is the best option.
If you have acces to a sprayer they do a great job on decking, saves a lot of "working in" with the decking grooves that you end up doing with a brush.

Some of the DIY sheds sell stain in a tub that has an inbuilt battery powered sprayer, useful if you have no spraying kit.

Back
Top Bottom