Decrease time between google crawls?

Soldato
My blog is 3 months old but the last 3 weeks has seen blog postings go from 5 a week to around 20-30 posts.

We have got 5-6 quality backlinks in the last 3 weeks, but only seen one on backwatch checker that we got around 5-6 weeks ago, so we don't think they have registered yet.

We have submitted on DMOZ.org, setup google webmaster and submitted our sitemap.xml this week.

We got crawled twice last week which is a lot better than the 2 week gap we had before getting more links and ramping up content.

What else can we do? Where do you guys get links? What are popular blogs? Do we need to only post on related blogs?

How long does it typically take to achieve a crawl every day or every other day?

How many links do we typically need to get?

When google does crawl our site the blog posts are usually on page one, sometimes two... it just doesn't crawl enough :)

Unfortunately the days of posting a article and google coming running are long gone, particularly on new sites. Mostly due to the changes google has made over the last year. Nowadays it takes longer for them to gain trust in your site, once they do start to trust the bot will come crawling more often.

They will be watching your sites posting schedule and also looking for other signals, for the first few months.

How many links do we typically need to get?
That is proverbial piece of string. There are so many metrics involved that no one can say. Link age, link topic, link quality and the list goes on and on. I have some pages that outrank pages with less links than they have. You need to do some research into your competitors see what links they have and try to find some of theirs that you can also use.

Look at their link quality and try to find better on topic/related links. Yes spammy link building still works but not aswell as it used to, but for how long.

You have to be consistent with your link building particularly until Google starts to trust you. Also from a variety of sources.

Using social media is working well for us twitter, facebook, google+, social bookmarking and news sites will also help particularly if you can get some buzz. All of these will also drive traffic on their own right. I have sites that don't or didn't rank anywhere but still get good traffic and make money all from social/news type sites. The side effect of this has been that these sites are now ranking top5 in many cases.

What are popular blogs? Do we need to only post on related blogs?
I prefer related/topic related links as it makes sense to me. Although in the general scheme of things you need to mix up your link profile. Also don't always use the same anchor text and some of the anchor text should be just your url. I aim for around 50% of the links to the home page then the others go deeper into the site. Reason being it looks far more natural that way. And that is what you need to do, look natural.
Popular blogs. Depends on your topic and you need to be looking for popular page/posts. For example Joe has a blog that is mostly about his computers, but he likes to cook, so occasionally he posts about his recipes. You want a cooking related link then a lot of people may overlook that page/post.

Hope that has helped? If not just ask.

Last edited:
Interesting, I'll read it properly tomorrow.

We have got 5-6 backlinks but only the first one we got weeks ago has registered on backlinkcheck, we have been looking at our top competitor sites and gone for some of the same sites to get a backlink.

Our twitter now has 14 followers and 97 tweets on it...

I have also just added more ping services to our wordpress site, I have added the google blogsearch one so hopefully it will come when it gets all our pings.

I think we are going to wait a month on the backlinks to see the ones we got register and see if google crawls us more, then in March go get more links.

Does this sound wise?

Back
Top Bottom