DELETED_247769

Just give it a go, try to work with colleagues as a team, ask their advice and try to learn from them on the job (if possible) and so that the responsibility doesn't all fall on you. You might find you rise to the challenge better than you expect.

The problem is that they all think I am experienced and can just "hit the ground running" and I feel by asking for so much help I'm exposing my inexperience even more

Better then screwing it up, and losing your job. Risk it and hopefully reap the rewards. If it fails, then your no worse off than quitting.

No, if faking it and asking for help risks being fired but has a chance of great success then it is better than quiting and definitely losing your job.

Fact finding.

There are probably some good guides out there. Google, even YouTube, on the end to end process of project management these days.

Or you can do what so many people seem to do, come in swinging, claim all existing processes aren't fit for purpose and start implementing whatever project management software, etc. is flavour of the month, suggest the fat needs to be cut in as many areas as possible :s then disappear when the going gets tough and actual progress needs to be made.

Fact finding.

There are probably some good guides out there. Google, even YouTube, on the end to end process of project management these days.

Or you can do what so many people seem to do, come in swinging, claim all existing processes aren't fit for purpose and start implementing whatever project management software, etc. is flavour of the month, suggest the fat needs to be cut in as many areas as possible :s then disappear when the going gets tough and actual progress needs to be made.

Lol the second part is a very familiar situation!

But have to agree with this entirely. If you have LinkedIn Premium or can get it cheap for a month there is a fantastic PM course on their learning area. I also used that before having an interview for a PM role and it come in handy knowing what I would need to be doing.

I'd cram some late night videos, reading etc. on what processes you should do to kick things off and you NEED to ask things. Not about how to do PM things, but no one can be expected to come in and understand the layout and what's been done etc. so I'd start asking what's been done, who is best to talk to, how you can learn the space quickly so you can be effective and all the while you'll be knowing what is expected and can start to work to that. Use this uncomfortable time to grown and learn and then soon you'll be in the swing of it and then you WILL have the experience of doing it. How else are you going to get to that level?

Watch YouTube videos lol. 'A dummies guide to project management'.
Considering some of the seasoned PMs I've worked with, it would probably put him in the top 5% of PMs :P

You also have to consider that many types of PM framework exist, and equally each company adopts a different version or a slightly edited version of this, as they fit it to their needs. That's why it's a framework. You're fine to get to understand this where you're at, too. Ask those questions. It's completely normal for anyone coming into a new company to do so don't sweat that.

I don't get why people lie or add fluff to a CV, you can either do things or you can't, the whole "everyone does it" thing is just BS, yeah I get tailoring a CV to a job but lying about stuff just makes no sense to me..

I hope you keep us updated on the outcome.

You need to draw up a 2D matrix grid thingy showing who the power players are then allocate resources accordingly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stakeholder_analysis

Try a Ponzi scheme method and tell all the stakeholders they will be rich and pay them off with other stakeholders money until it all comes crashing down. By that time you'll be long gone.

Back
Top Bottom