1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Inspiron upgrade advice please...

Discussion in 'Laptops & Tablets' started by IggyStooge, Mar 13, 2018.

1. IggyStooge

Hitman

Hello,

A mate of mine is complaining his antique Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop is really slow. Specs are Pentium Dual Core T4400 @ 2.20 ghz. 3 GB Ram. 500GB HDD. Windows 10 64.

I suggested replacing the original HDD with a 250 GB SSD but would it be worth it?

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. mrbazmondo

Hitman

I've upgraded way slower with an SSD. It gives them a whole new lease of life. Boot times are so much faster.
    If its still too slow you get to use the SSD in a new machine.
    If memory is an issue too use the checker too on crucial to check whats its possible to put in there.
    If you're not sure about splashing out that much, check to see if they could get by with 120G. They could store extra photos/videos on a tiny usb stick.

3. IggyStooge

Hitman

I do know he is using 170GB of a 500GB HDD currently. I'll mention the memory and see what he thinks about a 120GB. Thanks.

4. IggyStooge

Hitman

He's going to get a 240 GB. What are the Kingston SSD's like? Looking at the SSDNow UV400, it says it has 3 year warranty. Anything better at £65?

The laptop can take up to 8 GB RAM but that would be pretty costly buying 2 x 4 GB. Would going to 4 GB make much difference from the current 3 GB? It has one 2 GB stick - could I just add another 2 GB stick or do they need to be exactly the same?

Thanks.

5. andy_mk3

Soldato

I bought a Dell Latitude E6320 off ebay, it has i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM, all for £150.

SSD is the biggest factor though. However you might be able to find a more powerful system including an SSD for not much money.

6. IggyStooge

Hitman

Just put a Crucial 250GB in for now. Mate's gonna see how he gets on with it. Thanks.