Dell Precision Or XPS?

Associate
Hi guys,

my Dell Latitude E7470 laptop will not support Windows 11 so i'm looking to trade it in for an XPS or Precision before the value drops too much.

I use it for business/photo editing and it doesn't need to be mega portable. Quite often use it on my lap in the house but don't really travel with it.

My Dell laptop is a 14" which is a great size but I don't think XPS/Precision comes in a 14"? Either 13" or 15" so I would go for a 15" (13" too small for me).

Which would you go for, the XPS or Precision?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
The Precision 3470 and 5470 are 14” models.

It’s a toss up between size/portability and performance really.

If you don’t really travel with your laptop then Precision all day long.

Associate
Since you're used to a 7000 series, the 3000s or 5000s might be step down in terms of build quality.
While they also have the Vostro even lower down the stack, the impression Dell give with their numbering is that the lower ones aren't as well finished.
They do make some business class laptops based on the XPS chassis. However, in the days of all soldered RAM ThinkPad X280s and later, business class doesn't seem to mean that much. Think Dell are better at not soldering RAM, but it's always worth reading reviews of the model you're looking at (well, if upgradability and serviceability are important to you).

Associate
OP
Since you're used to a 7000 series, the 3000s or 5000s might be step down in terms of build quality.
While they also have the Vostro even lower down the stack, the impression Dell give with their numbering is that the lower ones aren't as well finished.
They do make some business class laptops based on the XPS chassis. However, in the days of all soldered RAM ThinkPad X280s and later, business class doesn't seem to mean that much. Think Dell are better at not soldering RAM, but it's always worth reading reviews of the model you're looking at (well, if upgradability and serviceability are important to you).

I am thinking do I really need an XPS.

Might get a newer version of what i've got. Only reason I am upgrading is to support Windows 11.

The latitude 7410 14" 10th gen i5 seems a good, well built laptop. Any thoughts on that one?

Last edited:
Soldato
The series number difference is irrelevant when comparing Latitude to Precisions, they're two completely different laptops so i'd ignore that comment.

The Vostros are generally poor build quality.

Also, they haven't done the Latitude E series for a while now, that dock connector is a thing of the past, thankfully.

I personally wouldn't get anything lower than the new 12th Gen Intel CPUs. Whether it's an XPS or Precision is up to you, we buy both, they're solid laptops.

Associate
OP
The series number difference is irrelevant when comparing Latitude to Precisions, they're two completely different laptops so i'd ignore that comment.

The Vostros are generally poor build quality.

Also, they haven't done the Latitude E series for a while now, that dock connector is a thing of the past, thankfully.

I personally wouldn't get anything lower than the new 12th Gen Intel CPUs. Whether it's an XPS or Precision is up to you, we buy both, they're solid laptops.
I use it for business but its only emails, photo editing, invoicing using an online accounts package. Just made an offer on a Dell Latitude 7420. Do like the XPS laptops and have used one in the past but they are just too expensive for what I need.

EDIT: sorry I didn't mean to put the e

Back
Top Bottom