Dell Studio 1737 - Any opinions?

Associate
Well since the Dell is almost sold out everywhere does anyone have an opinion on it before I buy tomorrow?

General specs are:
3200 CPU
2Gb RAM
256mb 3650 Ati
17" screen

It seems a lot of kit for the price, and could run some not too detailed games.

The main thing that has me thinking is Dell build quality - and not being known for it in a good way.

Would I be better off with a similar spec (but 3Gb) but without the graphics card for the same price (£390) and a HP or Sony Viao?

Ta.

Soldato
I'm also looking at this laptop, using for uni mainly not much gaming, nothing hardcore anyway that's what my Xbox is for, just need to run the games I make on my course using C++ and XNA etc..... as will be moving onto 3D games next semester. 3Gb of ram for this is pretty cheap as an upgrade.

Just need one 2Gb stick and replace one of the 1Gb sticks. Even complete swap for 2x2Gb is cheap. What are these CPU's like? not a C2D or Centrino2 but would like to know how good it actually is.

Soldato
Just purchased this from a competitor for £382 including delivery with a red lid. Will let you know what it's like and feel free to ask any questions. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Soldato
I have the studio 1735 which probably wont be much different.

Its a bit of a mixed bag really, the screen could be better as the vertical viewing angle is pretty shocking imo but i've never had a laptop before and that might just be the way things are(or i got unlucky).
If you got the higher resolution screen you probably wont have those problems as its apparently a better screen in every aspect

Anyway....I managed to break the screen....somehow(no idea how it happened). I will get a replacement on monday so hopefully that turns out better and i will see if i just got unlucky the first time.

There also seems to be some wierd bug where the media direct button keeps activating itself but it hasnt done that recently which is a bit of a relief. Its kinda annoying when you have to minimise your game every 5 minutes to shut it down again.

As far as graphical performance goes its not too shabby. It plays fallout 3 well on medium settings(hangs around in the 20's sometimes but most of the time its fluid) and RA3 on high which is better than i was expecting.

Soldato
Just recieved this laptop and it has arrived without the dedicated 256mb radeon 3650 graphics card so am disputing this with the supplier now so beware. Otherwise a very nice laptop.

Associate
its quite good actually
my cousin bought one and it runs quite quick
but thats just my opinion
i would choose the higer processer, faster hdd, and 4 gb ram to get the best out of one

Soldato
its quite good actually
my cousin bought one and it runs quite quick
but thats just my opinion
i would choose the higer processer, faster hdd, and 4 gb ram to get the best out of one

Does your cousins laptop have the dedicated graphics card? Just wondering if any of these laptops come with this. Most websites advertise it.

Soldato
Got one of these for my gfs brother. Bought straight from dell. Seems to be the cheapest and easiest way in Ireland.

So far he's just used it for browsing so haven't had a chance to see what it's like in games yet. Seems nippy enough. I got it with the 8400 processor in it and the 3650HD.

Soldato
Got one of these for my gfs brother. Bought straight from dell. Seems to be the cheapest and easiest way in Ireland.

So far he's just used it for browsing so haven't had a chance to see what it's like in games yet. Seems nippy enough. I got it with the 8400 processor in it and the 3650HD.

That's not quite the laptop we've been talking about then. That sounds like a Dell studio 17 customised. However the 1737 is a set spec laptop sold by other retail outlets, looked at the blue version on a high street website and it also listed the graphics card. When I went in the store it showed as the intel integrated crap again.

Still waiting on my studio 17 from dell says on or before th 19th. Anyone know how long the build/testing stage lasts?

Back
Top Bottom