Dell U2413 / U2412M / U2410 / U2312HM?

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my single monitor which I bought as a temporary solution. Basically I know Dell IPS monitors are highly rated but since I last looked into these they have introduced some new models.

From the four models I am looking at: U2413 / U2412M / U2410 / U2312HM, it's clear that I first need to distinguish between 23 or 24 inch. What would people recommend?

I will be using the monitor for web browsing/web design/gaming and creating office documents.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses :)

Probably best to establish first of all if you need or want wide gamut support as that will have an impact. The U2413 and U2410 are wide gamut, but come with a higher price tag as a result. The U2413 also carries a few higher end features which may be overkill for your needs and will just bump up the cost unnecessarily (hardware calibration support, 10-bit support, card reader etc).

The U2412M and U2312HM are probably more "accessible" for a mainstream user. Have a read of the reviews at TFTcentral of all of them, especially the new U2413 which covers the comparison with the U2410 and U2412M in more detail :)

I see what you mean, the difference in price is quite substantial. I don't think a wide gamut is really necessary for me. So the other two models would probably be more ideal. Are these likely to be upgraded this year though with a new model? That's another thing that concerns me.

I have a U2312HM and it's colour accuracy is really nice imo.
I game on it as well and can't notice any ghosting.
However, the 1920x1200 resolution of the 24 inch model may be better, as you are designing web pages.
You can't go wrong with any of them tbh. The U2413 does look a lot more expensive than the U2412M though.

I am leaning towards a U2312HM at the moment as I did briefly own two U2311's (I think that's the right model). It's just I am not sure whether 24 inch would be a better alternative. Everytime I tend to think it is I then realise that video's etc are widescreen. So I don't know if the black borders would annoy me.

It's quite a tough decision!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the response.

I am considering them but the thing that worries me is if they are replaced in the next couple of months or so. I am probably leaning towards 16:9 but what I don't understand is why Dell make so many 24in ultra sharp models.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the detailed response.

Colour gamut is a bit confusing but how I understand it is a wider gamut provides more realistic colours. Is that along the right lines?

In your opinion and based on my circumstances what do you think I would better going for?

Thanks again :)

Soldato
OP
So for gaming I can set the game to run at 16:9 on my 16:10 monitor and just suffer the black bars? I can't see it would be that annoying anyway.

If the game supports 16:10 then I would just run in that.

But surely it's better to have 24inch for everything else? I'll be doing other things more than gaming anyway.

Is this right?

Soldato
OP
Thanks again for the response.

What do you mean about the aspect ratio control by the graphics card? Does it not depend on the game then? Sorry this is all quite confusing :p

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the responses.

So if two 24 inch monitors (16:10) are connected only to my PC. There shouldn't be many problems with aspect ratios? Any game that does not support it will just have black bars on the top and bottom?

The other option could be to go to a 27inch but I don't think just one monitor would be suitable for me. The whole reason I want two is so that I can run two maximised windows side by side.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys,

So I have been considering this more. Including thinking of eyefinity etc and even the possibiliy of two 27inch monitors.

The 27inch monitors are more than I want to spend really but I am pretty set on 3xU2312HM's.

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
The other thing I'm thinking is I could now even go down the different sized dual monitor route. Maybe one 23 inch and one 27 inch.

Not sure if eyefinity is a good route to go down. I can't even decide on portrait or landscape from what I've been reading!!

Soldato
OP
To me eyefinity does sound risky I don't imagine it will just work.

I am currently thinking one U2713hm and then two u2312hm.

Not sure if this would be any good though. This would not be to run eyefinity though.

Back
Top Bottom