Design a day (56k unfriendly)

Soldato
Ok been toying with this idea for a while, basically I plan to post a design everyday or however often I can knock one out, all comments etc. are very much welcome.

If anyone wants to add their own pieces then feel free, hopefully this will generate some more interest in this area of the forum :) Ok here are the first two to get things rolling:

designone.jpg

kiss.jpg

ahahaha, I started out attempting a really complicated 2d piece, then turned out a complete rip-off of Boz's work and a terribly square composition. Oh well, sorry mate :p

morbidbliss.jpg

As a general rule of thumb, avoid the filters that photoshop provides. You will get a far more professional look through the correct use of basic tools such as the layer modes, brushes, gradients, lassoo etc.

The effect above is achieved through not actually manipulating the photo directly. Working on a layer above the photo I basically trace over it using the polygonal lassoo tool then filling it with the desired colour. With a bit more patience which I have to say, I dont have you can get a really detailed piece just through the placement of highlights etc. :p

The background is a simple gradient, the other 2d elements are a mix of rectangular marquees and the line tool, text etc.

Boz's work takes it a step further through the addition of textures on top. Its a case of finding what works for you, graphic design is reliant on a good sense of colour and composition more than anything, each of the elements of the piece must compliment each other in some way or they become needless clutter.

Good stuff agent, although I feel it would be better if you replaced the orange skin tone with that grey tone for all the flesh areas. The two contrast too much without any apparent light source so it tends to confuse the line of her body. As Boz said the black is very overpowering, as a general rule, like in painting, pure black should be avoided, its just too er...black...its flat, even a dark grey would give it a warm look rather than just a void. Hope that makes sense :confused:

The same goes for pure white, its just too intense and the brain confuses it as a space in the canvas, take my last posted piece for example, the 'white' t-shirt actually has a slight cream tone to it.

Couple of pointers in general for people:

- Dont use professional model photos, they are generally fairly low res and will force you to work small, lowering the quality and the ability to work in detail.

If you have a high res photo, like most good stock sites provide, you are able to work at a high resolution and add more points to a curve making them looking smoother when the image is down sized for viewing.

gawd, forgot about this, ill knock up another design tonight hopefully.

w11tho - looks good, if you havent noticed none of my pieces contain faces, its far easy to avoid them if you cant do them :p

Nobody is claiming them to be true vectors, it is merely an imitation of what is widely accepted as a vector style, its just easier to call them vectors than "pseudo vectors" or "photoshop imitations of vector work" :p

dean - awesome, love the skin tones and overall presentation, loses something in the hair somewhat though imo.

bleep.jpg

Sorry for letting this slide, been insanely busy lately leaving very little time for this stuff.

Only the very very beginning of a new piece. Im still deciding what to do with it, if anybody wants to take it up as a collaboration aswell im happy to roll with that, just drop me a line in here :) Slightly larger version available.

Back
Top Bottom