Designers/developers - Please fill in my mate's questionnaire

Soldato
Hello all

I have a mate at uni who is researching into the use of CSS pre-processors, so whether you are a developer, designer, DBA or whatever, your input will be greatly appreciated!

If you've never used pre-processors, it'll take roughly 2 seconds for you to complete. If you have, then the rest of your input would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance to any respondents!

http://t.co/dwnBHZnI

Worth noting that the title is "The Use of CSS Preprocessors in Todays Web Industry"

I'm a developer, not a web developer - so my input isn't really relevant iMo.

Done.

Should really expand the options for position in order to get a better idea of exactly who is using them.

ie:
Designer
Front End Dev
Back End Dev

I'd be curious how many back end guys who do a bit of front end stuff actually bother with them.

Done.

Should really expand the options for position in order to get a better idea of exactly who is using them.

ie:
Designer
Front End Dev
Back End Dev

I'd be curious how many back end guys who do a bit of front end stuff actually bother with them.

Heh, I never even knew about them. I gotta read about front up on my front end knowledge sometime, but I mostly hack on back-end / legacy code.

I submitted my opinion, if you write a lot of styles everyday its a no brainer but with so many frameworks available unless you are working on large projects often and have a team who also uses them it can be more more hassle than you really need.

UI designer/developer. Submitted.

Know about them, have looked into them, wouldn't adopt them and wouldn't recommend them in my current setting. - even on huge projects, you'd still continually need the entire development team to be on the same page.

Answered. I'm a full time web developer. I do mostly front end work, but I do a bit of everything really (still a fair bit of php).

I couldn't live without SASS now for my css (work and otherwise). It simply remakes reuse and maintenance that much easier. That said, like any code, there are bad ways to use the tools you are given and SASS is no exception. There are a few no nos, like deep nesting and using preprocessor tricks for the hell of it, but I'd highly recommend it to any one that does css. :)

We're starting to use BEM style syntax at work as well now. I don't have a lot of experience with it (there's not a lot to get your head around, so it's easy to pick up though), but I can already see it's another great way to help make css a lot easier to understand, refactor and work with.

Just looked into SASS on Wikipedia and must admit that it does look interesting. It would be great for colours that's for sure, a single edit instead of doing each and every single one, just perfect for common CSS.

I'm going to try and implement it into one of my current templates to see how my productivity changes.

Back
Top Bottom