Designing a booklet using Photoshop....

Soldato
Hi all just been tasked with designing a bit of a booklet to advertise our service and to give out at conferences and meetings etc.

I've been reading that inDesign is the best thing to design a booklet in (we'd like it to be about 10 pages or so, stapled in the middle), however we do not own a copy of inDesign, we only have Photoshop.

Now i'm fairly proficient in Photoshop, are there any glaringly obvious reasons why it would be a bad idea for designing each page in Photoshop?

AFAIK the place where it will be printed just takes a PDF of each page to compile the booklet and goes from there.

isn't there a 30 day free trial of inDesign?

Yeh there is, im downloading it at the moment.

The actual booklet wont have too many columns etc and what not. Its just little paragraphs of information each page. It won't be like a magazine or anything with loads of different columns so layout it pretty straightforward really!

Not sure what baseline grids and slug margins are!

Will probably give inDesign a peep shortly when the trials downloaded. It'd probably make this process a whole lot easier I'd imagine.

dont forget at least 3mm bleed, you can't beat quark or indesign for page layout.

Baseline grid allows you too overlay the entire document with graph paper, makes it a bit easier to line lots of elements up. Slug margins are more or less bleed guides outside the page area.

print setup in vector applications is much easier too, if you use Photoshop and don't setup your resolutions and colour correctly to begin with it can be a bit of a nightmare come showtime.

How easy is it to move a design from Photoshop to inDesign? Can it be done?

I had a bit of a play around with inDesign and short of watching loads of tutorial videos I'm a bit clueless how to set it up past the initial bit of setting your page size and number of pages etc.

I'm pressed for time to get it done so was thinking if I made each page in Photoshop could it then be cut and pasted over to inDesign? Or will that not work?

Ta

i was going to say that indesign would take some getting used to

you can design it in photoshop and then add crops and bleeds if you need them with indesign

i would suggest speaking to the printer though first , he might say its ok to just supply PDF files with extra 3mm all the way around without the crop marks

First and foremost as a printer who deals with peoples artwork, please turn off facing pages, nothing but a pain in the back side.

Strip off the type and place the background images into position then copy and paste the text from photoshop into text boxes in indesign. You will need to reapply your fonts and sizes I would expect.

Facing pages is the least of your worries with finished artwork generated in Photoshop. Don't do it, I won't bore you with the reason not to, but speak to a local printer. I'll guarantee they won't recommend using Photoshop, if they do try another printer.

Sir Spankalot is pretty much spot-on. When dealing with print, all you should only be using Photoshop for is your images or fancy backgrounds. Keep any type well away from Photoshop.

Speak to a professional. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom