Desperately trying to toggle a font awesome icon

Soldato
As title, I'm probably overlooking something really simple. Just trying to get the bars icon to change to a times and vice versa when clicked. Here's the code.

Code:
<div id="mobilebutton"><i class="fa fa-bars"></i></div>

Code:
$( "#mobilebutton" ).click(function() {
  $( "#mobilenavoverlay" ).slideToggle( "slow", function() {
  });
        $(this)
        .find('[data-fa-i2svg]')
        .toggleClass('fa-times')
        .toggleClass('fa-bars');
});

jQuery code is within a $(document).ready(function(){. I've followed the instructions on https://fontawesome.com/how-to-use/svg-with-js#with-jquery and used their code, but nada. Heeelp!

Soldato
You can also tidy up the JS a little as you don't need the callback function you pass to slideToggle(), as you don't do anything with it, and you can join multiple classes with a space between them in toggleClass()`:

Code:
$('#mobilebutton').click(function() {
  $('#mobilenavoverlay').slideToggle('slow');
  $(this).find('i.fa').toggleClass('fa-times fa-bars');
});

Soldato
You can also tidy up the JS a little as you don't need the callback function you pass to slideToggle(), as you don't do anything with it

Might be for timing? He's got it set to 'slow' so maybe if he doesn't use the callback it would change the class before the animation finished?

Soldato
OP
You don't have a 'data-fa-i2svg' attribute on that element, so it won't be found. Using '.fa' instead works.

That doesn't work because I'm using the SVG version of FA. The data tag is from their documentation; "If you absolutely need to attach events to the icon you can use the data-fa-i2svg attribute but you need to allow for the dynamic creation of the svg element."

Soldato
I think you'd use the data tag like this:

Code:
<div id="mobilebutton"><i class="fa fa-bars" data-fa-i2svg="russ-icon"></i></div>

Code:
$( "#mobilebutton" ).click(function() {
  $( "#mobilenavoverlay" ).slideToggle( "slow", function() {
  });
        $(this)
        .find('[data-fa-i2svg="russ-icon"]')
        .toggleClass('fa-times')
        .toggleClass('fa-bars');
});

Caporegime
That doesn't work because I'm using the SVG version of FA. The data tag is from their documentation; "If you absolutely need to attach events to the icon you can use the data-fa-i2svg attribute but you need to allow for the dynamic creation of the svg element."
I don't care what it says. It doesn't work because your element doesn't have a data-fs-i2svg attribute on it. Capicé?

You might as well change the selector to
Code:
$(this).find("lol-never-going-to-find-anything")
for all that that's worth.

So either change the selector to match your element, or add the attribute to the element.

e: https://jsfiddle.net/vkbvt4tk/

e2: Further reading on their site - you need to allow for the dynamic loading as per the same line you just quoted to me. So use the example they give immediately after:

HTML:
<nav>
  <ul style="list-style: none; margin: 0; padding: 0;">
    <li><i class="fa fa-user fa-2x"></i></li>
  </ul>
</nav>

<script>
  document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function () {
    $('nav').on('click', '[data-fa-i2svg]', function () {
      alert('You clicked the icon itself');
    });
  });
</script>

note the use of jQuery's .on("click", selector, handler) instead of .click().

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think you'd use the data tag like this:

*snip*

Adding the data-fa-i2svg attribute manually to any icon prevents it from displaying.

Not sure why you're being so passive aggressive. Your post contradicts itself now you've read their documentation re: the data-fs-i2svg attribute being added.

I've completely copied FA's code now, below, and still nothing. The #mobilenavoverlay displays so it's finding the object, just not able to toggle the class.

Code:
<button>Open up <i class="fa fa-angle-right"></i></button>

<script>
document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function () {
    $('button').on('click', function () {
        $( "#mobilenavoverlay" ).slideToggle( "slow" );
      $(this)
        .find('[data-fa-i2svg]')
        .toggleClass('fa-angle-down')
        .toggleClass('fa-angle-right');
    });
  });
  </script>

Soldato
OP
No problem :). Thanks for your help so far.

So that jsfiddle link doesn't work for me (as in, the code doesn't toggle the icon). Not a browser issue though since the example on FA's website works.

I hate jS!

Soldato
It's the other way around. You were using 1.11 which broke it. Even though the URL calls this the 'latest' version, it's not. The '-git' version is 3.3.2-pre. I'd be careful using a pre-release version too. 3.3.1 is the latest stable release.

I'd strongly suggest using the Google CDN instead of the jQuery one. It's more reliable for a start:

https://developers.google.com/speed/libraries/#jquery

Back
Top Bottom