Detective OCUK forums! Help me find this registration of this close pass driver.

Associate
Hello folks! I had a driver knock me off my bike over the weekend and I ended up in hospital ( sadly no video ), and tonight I had someone close pass me I am obviously sick of this and want to report these people before they kill someone.

Here is the driver from this evening, I cannot quite make out his registration, it looks like a Blue Audi and something like yk07 nzW

https://www.rapidcarcheck.co.uk/free-car-specs-by-entering-registration/

https://store.boxrick.com/close/front.mp4
https://store.boxrick.com/close/rear.mov

Can anyone make out the registration of this vehicle, perhaps putting the washed out frames through photoshop and adjusting the contrast?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Associate
OP
Was it really that close though? Honestly speaking i've seen much worse and don't think there was any intent.

Yes of course, there is never intent just stupidity and lack of care. It is a wide angle camera so always looks further away, was probably < 1ft from my arm if you are on a bike you know how that feels... especially if I am moving to avoid pot holes then someone this close will hit me. Is saving all of 3 seconds worth potential the risk of knocking me over?

A letter from the police in the post even just a warning will make someone think about risking someones life in the future.

Associate
OP
Too much motion blue to be really sure just using PS - Maybe someone with video editing software can do a better job of reducing the motion smear?

For future, it's better to have a higher frame rate on the camera even if you use a lower resolution i.e 60fps at 720p is better than 30fps at 1080 for capturing clear motion.

The rear does have a 60FPS 1080p mode it just drains battery faster, but clearly its needed. This is the second time I have struggled to make out a licence plate, luckily I just managed to get it last time.

Associate
OP
I love all the people here who say 'it isnt that close' and there is your problem and the EXACT reason why this needs to be sent to the police. It is nothing to do with an axe to grind or any of that nonsense. I wish to use the roads and not have people close enough to scuff my arm say 'thats not close'. Imagine a 2 tonne piece of metal passing you at any speed, its bloody scary and any little wobble because I am avoiding pot holes, puddles etc will result in me or someone else getting injured.

For context, there is a police reporting utility you fill out a little form, you send them the location and the footage and you get a response like this. They actively encourage people to do this and even have a little box for 'close passes'

Then the driver ends up with points /warning letter or nothing depending on what the police deem to be appropriate. It isn't hard to just give someone a little space in the road!

Thank you for your recent submission to the DASH CAM reporting process.

The matter will be reviewed by a Roads Policing Officer who will determine the appropriate action:

· Summons to court (usually for the more serious offences)

· A conditional offer (usually points and a fine)

· A Driver Educational Course (which they have to pay for)

· A warning letter

· No further action for an offence, but footage to be used to update our intelligence on the vehicle. (Note, intelligence may also be passed on to 3rd parties with an interest in the vehicle, such as Insurance and Finance companies).

· No further action

Where we identify that action will be taken against the driver, we will contact the registered keeper.

Associate
OP
UK cyclists don't think that they should cycling in a way appropriate to the conditions, everyone else should just get out of the damn way (road or pavement), which is why so many get squished. At least they win the argument on their helmet cam that is peeled from their head though.

I really miss cycling on the continent where the riders are sensible and pragmatic.

I lived in the Netherlands for 6 months. I can safely say the riders are no better or worse, just the infrastructure and roads are set up in such a way to keep cars and cyclists separate. Which means less conflict and course everyone is happier.

On a happier note, I went to meet my girlfriend at work this evening. I upped my cameras to 60FPS and didn’t even need em which makes me happy. Especially given the weather was awful.

Associate
OP
Can I just point out that I started a thread about number-plate recognition just recently and the idea got dismissed?
There is actually software which you can use to blend the frames and clean up the video that police use for forensics. Sadly no trial versions around.

Associate
OP
I don't give cars 1.5m-2m when passing. That is far too much space. Even lanes in a motorway don't seperate you out by that much.

How much space do cycle lanes give cyclists away from vehicles?

The overtake at speed with a cyclist on the inside is a little out of order though.

In a car you are protected by a big
Wall of metal, so giving 2m of passing space isn’t strictly necessary. But you know the feeling when a large lorry passes you on the motorway? Amplify that feeling 100x times and you now know what it feels like on a bike. You are vulnerable, unprotected and anyone’s mistake other than your own will likely lead to something bad. No amount of lights, helmets etc will change that. I look like a Christmas tree, I’m insured more than your typical driver is and even pay this mythic ‘road tax’ for a car which is parked up most of the time. Yet it still doesn’t stop idiots.

But be sensible about this, anyone who is saying that this is ‘fine’ clearly hasn’t even been close passed by a car. I’d say around a meter+ of space is fair.

I’ll just leave this little picture here:

4001.jpg

Associate
OP
Wasn't even close. Get a grip OP.

‘Get a grip’ as I’ve already said the car was around 1ft from my arm. If that isn’t too close then why on earth have police prosecuted for less on videos I’ve sent in the past?

You clearly haven’t been in the situation of being close passed before, it’s horrendous. Especially at speed.

Back
Top Bottom