Device to pour coal in log fire?

Soldato
Not really, you scoop it up with it too then shovel to top up.
Or leave the coal in bags, cut the corner off and pour into the scuttle. I miss not having a coal fire tbh.

Soldato
Toast with beef dripping done on coal fire - don't forget the jelly at bottom of cup. Yum Yum !! -- I checked price of coal recently - Bejasus - no wonder coal fed power stations are closing down.

Associate
Is this regarding the log burner you previously posted about? If so don't burn ordinary household coal in it under any circumstances, you will block the flue very quickly.
Coal is for open fires where 80% of the heat goes straight up the chimney carrying away the bituminous tar associated with the product. An enclosed stove burns at a much slower rate than an open fire meaning the gases released travel much slower up the flue making tarring up a dangerous problem (risk of CO poisoning)

Soldato
Is this regarding the log burner you previously posted about? If so don't burn ordinary household coal in it under any circumstances, you will block the flue very quickly.
Coal is for open fires where 80% of the heat goes straight up the chimney carrying away the bituminous tar associated with the product. An enclosed stove burns at a much slower rate than an open fire meaning the gases released travel much slower up the flue making tarring up a dangerous problem (risk of CO poisoning)

Yes, that is specifically "household coal", there is plenty of coal you can burn in an enclosed stove. I use extra heat/stoveflame/duck eggs (http://www.lincolnshirefirewood.co.uk/firewood-and-coal/coal/stoveflame - all different names for the same type) in my inset multi fuel back boiler stove. https://goo.gl/images/4uHQKa

But he certainly shouldn't be burning any coal in a wood burner (the clue is in the name) only a multi fuel burner. The difference is a multi fuel has a grate whereas a wood burner doesn't.

Last edited:
Associate
Or leave the coal in bags, cut the corner off and pour into the scuttle. I miss not having a coal fire tbh.

This is what I do for putting it in when the fire is cold. Not really possible to top it up once it's going though.

I've been thinking about getting a coal scuttle but coal and a light coloured carpet is not a good mix.

Soldato
Open the sliding door on the bottom of the bunker, coal will partially emerge from the hole, get the small coal shovel and shovel it into the coal scuttle. Repeat until full or to heavy. Tip it onto fire.

Havn't shoveled coal into a scuttle since I was a kid but its amazing what you remember. I remember the coal man coming to empty the sacks into the bunker too, havn't seen one of them for donkeys years.

Back
Top Bottom