dGPU boot fail?.. Z690 + iGPU cpu

Associate
Hi,

Got an interesting discreet GPU issue here, perhaps someone came across something similar here.

My Z690 setup includes CPU with iGPU so had been running it like this on the bench.
I have a spare, old gen card (HD7950) which is now a backup and had been running flawlessly under WC for years. After upgrading, I had stripped the block, cleaned, repasted before putting standard cooler back on. At this point it was not in any setup yet to test but I have no reason to believe it had any issue.

As the last bench check I plugged the dGPU to the mobo, run this into windows and went ahead with driver update (some extra legacy stuff from AMD).
While doing the driver install the machine crashed (absolutely stable until then).
After restart there was a couple of failed boots and now, I cannot get the system to give any video output from either GPU or iGPU.
It seems to boot but its just a dark screen..

If I unplug the GPU and boot without its runs absolutely fine on iGPU.

Its Easter but hopefully I'll be able to take the GPU to a friend to test, not that easy with other machines under full WC.

Troubleshooting this far:
- different PCIE slot
- different PCIE speed setting in bios

Need to try:
- different video cable - need to get that as my HD7950 has limited choice and I never used the cable
- run GPU in different PC
- if possible, try another GPU in this mobo.

What is most bizarre is that it booted ok once and then it seems unhappy with the GPU.

Ps. how 'sloppy' is the main PCIE slot on Z690 Tomahawk? the card moves easily 10mm in Z when I push up and down.. I didn't run a bench setup for a while so don't remember how it was on my previous boards. Definitely engaged as I triple checked now!

I am 100% there is no further movement into the socket. Everything looks square and the clip can be heared engage.
It seems exactly as it was when I got it to boot and output video..

What sort of "bench" set-up is it? If the mobo is not properly supported then maybe the 10mm is from it flexing, and that is not good for larger surface mount devices.

I think it will be easier with a vid...

I tried a different output port - nada
I moved the card to different PCIE - nada
I may be able to try another machine and GPU this weekend but until then I can try something else.

My concern is that the PCIE slot was not right, but card behaves the same in each of them.

Maybe a Vbios corruption caused by the legacy/driver updates? Sorry for my stupid question, is it possible to set igpu priority in bios and have that connected to the monitor and have the dgpu slotted in? Can it boot this way?

I got the gpu checked out in another, older PC and at first there was video output but after post screen artifacts appeared on screen, at that point on 2nd reboot after re-inserting and checking connections no video out.
Not sure if this is recoverable.. Any previous experience?

So with regards to my original setup, think all was working as it should, but as sg0 suggested, likely vbios corruption.

Back
Top Bottom