Did Brexit kill AlieExpress?

Have a few things in my wish list on Ali.

Had a look this morning and shipping for many items is now £35 plus. Free shipping has vanished on most items with others no longer shipping to the UK.

This would make AliExpress useless for UK sellers (and devastating to anyone who dropships?)

It would seem that this was pre-Brexit but the EU postponed the decision and we went ahead with it !

Soldato
OP
Thinking about it businesses will claim back the VAT.

It is the individuals who will be paying over the odds for their items.

No one was avoiding taxes it was part of the agreement I assume.

edit: Many of my items have now reverted to free shipping. Others haven't. Odd.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The extra costs have nothing to do with VAT or Brexit. It's all to do with the shipping market currently. The price of a 40HC from China is normally around 1700-2000 GBP now you are looking at between £6k -8k.

A) There is extra demand now due to the massive drop of freight during March / April due to COVID. So retailers for example have a 2 month backlog to catch up on so are ordering more then usual.
B) There is a massive container shortage putting prices up worldwide. For example there are 52000 containers just sitting at Felixstowe quay with unused PPE.
C) Some shipping lines are refusing to come the UK now because of the issues at Felixstowe and Southampton ports. The turnaround at ports should be a day at most. Now some are being held at Zeebrugge for 5 days as there are no available berths available in the UK plus as the ports have no facilities to offload due to the shortage of staff, space and equipment. Therefore shipping lines are preferring to go Asia and America where the turnaround is half the time so more profit for them.
D) Due to the increase demand on haulage and the extra waiting time the drivers are facing waiting for their containers to be offloaded, haulage prices are going up massively.

It's NOTHING to do with VAT. It's NOTHING tondo with Brexit. Stop the lies.

So you read the link from the beginning of the thread?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

Back
Top Bottom