Did I do the right thing?

Soldato
Hello all,

I was on my way with my Mum driving to Decathlon in Nottingham last night in the wet when I approached a smallish roundabout on Bilborough Road outside the Nottingham Buisiness Park heading towards the Nuthall roundabout for those of you that know it. I was in the left hand lane with a car behind me and I entered the roundabout at approx. 20mph, turned in to the right keeping to the left hand lane and at the point where you are about to accelerate out of the roundabout I felt my front tyres starting to slip, instantly followed by the rears sliding. I had NO grip whatsoever on the road surface.

The car started to point to the right, whilst the car started sliding to the left and the curb. I reacted by easing off the accelerator and I touched the brake for a split second whilst attempting to turn the direction I intended to go. The car bit the road again and I carried on in the direction I was supposed to be going.

My question is, did I react in the right way? What would have happened if I had hit the brakes in a panic? I drive a S reg basic SEAT Ibiza so nothing special.

Soldato
OP
I wasn't actually pushing down on the accelerator, I was just keeping it at a steady point to keep the car going at it's current speed.

The point the car lost traction was just about the point where you would expect to press the accelerator to move away from the island.

Back
Top Bottom