Did your parents buy you a car....?

Soldato
Hi all,

My parents bought my first car for me - It was a £800 Astra. At the time, I was at Uni and I didn't have a job.

Do you think it's ok for parents to buy cars for their children? or do you think, children should earn it for themselves..? So that they respect / value it more?

Sone said:
had to buy my own cars, not bothered really as i am working. Sister is just ending her teacher training and really needs a car to go to the different schools but they won't hlp her. Which is annoying, thinking of buying her a daewoo matiz as £1000 gets a w/x plate with lowinsh miles, may be crap but its cheap and realiable

That is very kind of you.

I all ways believe in helping people - But only if they really need the help.

bitslice said:
I've never asked my mother for money when I was a kid
because I knew she didn't have any.
She worked damn hard bringing us up on her own,
so I'm dammed if I'll accept anything that I haven't worked for myself.

Buying your first car is part of growing up, earning money, and taking responsibility.
'Doing without' seems to be unheard of these days.

I've seen other people and my own relatives, who buy their kids everything they see on TV, and bail them out whenever they go short.
It really hasn't done them any favours in life... :-/

If you think differently, then they are your kids, so that's up to you.

You have a valid point. I think it's important for Parents to make their kids realise the value of money and not just buy them everything they want.

Parents have a responsibilty to educate their kids so that they can grow up to be repsonsible so that they can stand on their own two feet one day...

Many kids nowadays... have never seen hard times... But I bet so many of our parents have :(

Last edited:
astralcars said:
My parents paid for my 330. I didn’t ask or expect them to bankroll a car purchase, but they offered. They’re not so foolhardy as to throw away money that is central to their current and future needs and I’m sure they don’t doubt my appreciation for their efforts. I could have declined but having known them for 22 years, I know that such a gesture wouldn’t have increased their respect for me.

If it’s no skin off their back, what is gained by saying no? Greater respect for money and greater independence are certainly possibilities. However it’s not obvious to me how acceptance of a high valued gift implies lack of respect for money. That would be the result of throwing money at a child irrespective of how they manage it and irrespective of their general behaviour. Nor is it clear why being able to say “I obtained everything I own without the help of family” should be everyone’s ultimate aim. If family is willing and able to provide something your current circumstances don’t permit, without causing any real inconvenience, only an exaggerated sense of pride would lead one to go it alone.

You are very lucky young man! and Your parents are very kind ;)

Back
Top Bottom