Difference between Costa, Starbucks and Cafe Nero

Soldato
Starbucks seems to have around 7 people working furiously behind the counter yet only producing a coffee every 5 minutes with a big queue building up. Then the coffee is meh.

Costa has awesome self service machines and are yummy.

Soldato
Starbucks coffe is absoutly disgusting and they are dirty tax dodgers, never go in there unless am with someone else who insists (and is paying!) would go in the following order for
Me

Costa
Mc donalds
Costa machine
Tasimo
Local cafe
Instant coffee

Starbucks

Soldato
One thing they have in common is that they are all over priced.

I just use Nespresso capsules every day, only a very rare occasion will i have overpriced coffee from a shop

Associate
They all suck, but Starbucks is the best.
Costa is so hit and miss it's crazy...at least Starbucks are more automated in their espresso making. I generally know what I'm getting from Starbucks, plus their filter coffee is cheap and ok.

There is one Nero round here, and it seems to be a slightly better version of Costa. So yeah, Costa easily in last place for me

Man of Honour
I've never had a problem? I travel to the US a lot and just ask for an English breakfast tea in Starbucks and it's never been bad. Overpriced, yes, but it's still been a normal tea.
Same, went to NYC a year or so ago and nothing wrong with the Tea.

Soldato
They seem to have just installed a new Costa self-service in my local Tesco express. All fine and dandy if machine coffee is your thing ... BUT some complete dipstick has placed the 5 ft tall advertising stand of a Costa take away cup by the entrance blocking the view of traffic from the left when you are trying leave the car park ! Looking forward to the local scrotes vandalising that pretty soon.

Soldato
Personally i prefer Nero over Costa and avoid drinking Starbucks coffee, if i do end up in one their origins blends are less of a charcoal taste to the normal coffee.

I tend to drink more costa just because of the availability, its easy to use a machine while your filling up.

End result, i get much better coffee at home with my machine and grinder, very large outlay but i can have a very nice coffee for about 25p cost to myself apposed to £3+ for an adequate one from any of the chain stores.

Caporegime
There are a lot of misconceptions here.

1 - all of them sell plain black coffee
2 - a small plain black coffee is like £1, milk is on the side which you can top up. Only the drinks that is frothed up with syrup which a lot of people hate are £3. It's probably the same people who complains why coffee is so complicated in there, well, it's like £1 for a simple coffee, the option is there if you want it.
3 - get it to go, no need to talk to the hipsters, that is not required, in Coffee shops or in life.

They are a treat anyway, you can't and shouldn't drink like 5 or 6 a day if you are getting the fraps or getting those mocha, it's like 300 calories a cup! 5 of those a day you are pretty much done on all your calories unless you want to put on lots of weight. That's besides that it will cost you a small fortune.

So treat them like a treat, once in a while, stick to plain coffee, for the coffee. Get the filter stuff, then it won't taste burnt.

Last edited:
Soldato
Things I like about Starbucks:

The coffee (yes really, even though I have a lot of coffee brewing parafanalia at home).

The rewards scheme.

The fact that when I top up my reward card I get either 9% off or points for other purchases through a corporate perks scheme.

The drive through that is 30 seconds from work so that I don't have to sit in the noisy shop.

Starbucks isn't really coffee. (Let's be honest, it's Americanised sugary crap) It be like drinking a cup full of boiled sugar, with a coffee taste additive thrown in.

Surely that depends how you take it and what you order?

At what point does the coffee shop market collapse? Surely people can only drink so much (relatively expensive) coffee?

When someone invents caffeine withdrawal patches :D

As for the sprinkling of tax comments, oh please. I guess you check the finances of every multinational you use. Cough, Amazon, cough.

Soldato
Iirc. When I visited Starbucks, I tried ordering a bog standard coffee. And milk. They looked at me like some sort of idiot.

Got my drink, literally couldn't drink it cause it was so sweet. Maybe I ordered wrong.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Iirc. When I visited Starbucks, I tried ordering a bog standard coffee. And milk. They looked at me like some sort of idiot.

Got my drink, literally couldn't drink it cause it was so sweet. Maybe I ordered wrong.

You need to know the hipster lingo to order ;)

Back
Top Bottom