1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between LPDDR3 and DDR4 SDRAM

Discussion in 'Memory' started by Rocker, 29 Jan 2018.

1. Rocker

Gangster

Whatst he difference between DDR4 SDRAM and LPDDR3 SDRAM, what one is better?

I'm looking at a new laptop, both have similer specs in terms of CPU (i5-7200U) and 8GB RAM, but one has DDR4 SDRAM and the other has LPDDR3 SDRAM...

2. Acme

Caporegime

LPDDR3 is in effect just DDR3 for a laptop, so the one advertised as having DDR4 will have LPDDR4.

DDR4 is the newer standard. Lower voltage and (usually) faster.

3. horrorwood

Wise Guy

Sorry to bring up an old post but this is one of the top results on Google and is wrong.

Laptop ddr4 is standard ddr4. LPDDR3 will be the better choice over ddr4. There is nothing using lpddr4 yet.

LPDDR3 is also not DDR3:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/5dimal/lpddr3_vs_ddr4_power_usage/

Performance wise LPDDR3 and DDR4 there isn't much in it, you should always go for LPDDR3 over DDR4.

4. Orcvader

Capodecina

I'm pretty sure LPDDR4 is already used, even LPDDR4X which is a slight revision with a lower voltage profile. They can be found in a lot of high end smart phones.

LPDDR is basically just Low Power DDR, the main difference will be power consumption, especially in standby.

Comparing LDDDR3 and DDR4 though, assuming the laptop's RAM speeds are similar between the two, then yes there won't be much performance difference. If the DDR4 kit offers faster RAM speeds then I'll go for that especially if you're using integrated graphics.