Difference between this memory?

Associate
Hi

I'm trying to work out the difference between some RAM (old 3GB Micron and new 8GB Kingston).

HP Elite 8000 desktop PC
Old 3GB of Micron PC3-10600 (4jtf12864AZ-1G4D1) 2GB and 1GB chips

Screenshots of the old RAM:
ZKRYacz.jpg
85FqcnI.jpg

I read online that even though CPU-Z says its PC3-10700, it really is PC3-10600 as the sticker on the RAM says it has just been rounded up from 10660.

The RAM I'm trying to get working to replace this is "Kingston 8GB 1333MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM SR x8 Memory Module (Kit of 2) STD Height 30mm"

Details are:

8GB DDR3, 1333MHz, Non-ECC, CL9, 1.5V, Unbuffered, DIMM,

2epq23R.jpg

And finally the HP website states the Elite 8000 requires memory of this type ....

Lc1Kmif.jpg

So obviously I'm being thick but whats the difference between the Micron and new Kingston ram, for the Elite8000 pc to say its incompatible? Both PC3-10600, both 1333MHz, both non-ECC

Posed the question to Kingston tech support and got the answer:

"Dear S,

Memory specifications alone do not guarantee compatibility.

Equally significant is the chip technology used in manufacturing.

Please note that although the HP/Compaq Elite 8000 is not currently in our list of supported systems, we used to support this model with our memory previously.

Support for this system was discontinued in 2013

The reason for the discontinuation was the transition to a new type of memory technology.

It appears as though the system, which was released in 2009, is unable to support this newer technology.

The memory used by the HP/Compaq Elite 8000 has a 2Gbit chip density - the current chip density is 4Gbit and the INTEL Q45 Chipset is not capable of using this technology.

Therefore we were no longer able to support this system as all current memory modules, like the KVR13N9S8HK2/8, had been updated to the new 4Gbit chip density type.

Unfortunately, we are no longer able to provide you with a compatible upgrade solution, therefore we recommend that you return the KVR13N9S8HK2/8 to your supplier.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kingston Technology Europe Co. LLP
European Technical Support Engineer, EMEA
Email: [email protected]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats what I thought.

But it turns out the motherboard chipset Intel Q45 cant handle newer types of memory chip density (density not size). Thats the response from Kingston.

Going to flog the PC as its 5 years old now

Back
Top Bottom