Difference in DVI and VGA quality; switch from monitor to TV.

Soldato
OK, possibly the wrong forum, I don't know, maybe graphics forum?

Basically I'm a newb in this area so stay with me.

I, at the moment, have the samsung syncmaster 930BF 19", that is 4ms response time connect by DVI.

I'm going to UNI soon so I'm trying to space save. I'm planning to get the Samsung LE23R73BD LCD TV.

This has an 8ms response time and would be connected by VGA.

Now, I know this sounds stupid but, I have not used VGA with a monitor before (I mean not mine) so what quality reduction can expect?

Also will the colours be all washed out? I have magiccolor on my Syncmaster, guessing the TV wont have this.

Cheers all.

Associate
There is no difference between VGA and DVI. The only reason DVI was introduced was because VGA could only go up to a certain resolution (not exactly sure), however, DVI could ge past this limitation in resolution.

In short, there should be no difference.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
That doesn't sound right since VGA can carry around 2048x1536@100Hz and (single-link) DVI maxes out around 1920x1200@60Hz. DVI does offer a digital signal however, and as such doesn't suffer signal degradation in the same way an analogue signal can (especially for badly shielded cable).

At its best, VGA is as good as DVI. My LE32R73BDX handles VGA superbly and so should your 23".

Back
Top Bottom