Digital Nomad Wifi Woes

Associate
Hullo all,

I find myself in a brief period of no fixed abode.

The problem is that I can't connect to my client's vpn using 4G - i.e. setting my mobile device as a wifi hotspot.

The eason seems to be that it uses IPV4 instead of IPV6 and can't establish a handshake.

I'm with EE and it seems they have disabled any option to change this on my device.

Is there anyway around this or is there another mobile wifi provider I could use that allows this?

can you connect via cable to your phone?

I don't think the connection from your mobile phone to the VPN gateway is what is causing the issue, it's more likely packet forwarding from your mobile phone to your computer. Having it plugged in makes the computer use the phone as a modem and removes the package forwarding.

But having said this, I know cissco VPNs APs don't support IPv6 unless they are on certain firmware, you can disable ipv6 on most phones, but that's just the protocol your computer is taking to your phone on, not the protocol that your phone is taking to the vpn access point on.

There's also the possibility that your mobile phone provider is re-capsulating the data so it's just garage for the vpn gateway to understand..
It's a secure company laptop so connection via cable isn't an option, unfortunately.

Regarding the IPV6 vs IPV4 issue, that in itself may not be the problem but various online sources suggest it is.

It would help if I could talk with my client but they are ignorant of this temporary nomadic status and I need it to remain that way ;-)

Back
Top Bottom