Dilemma, (KS7000 refund)

Soldato
So you know when you randomly come across something, but in many ways which that you never saw it in the first place after a while? I have one of those scenarios...

So it all started when I thought "BBC are doing 4K trials of the World Cup on iPlayer are they? Sweet!"

I then thought, hopefully its not one of those tests where its only in X postcode or on this exact model of two specific TVs you know? As these things often are...

After a bit of googling it seems that in fact, no, that is not the case.
TVs that support the HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) form of HDR via iPlayer, will be able to support these streams of 4K HDR World Cup goodness.

There is a rather long list of TV's on BBC's site which they have published, but i'm afraid it's bad news for anyone who purchase a Premium 4K HDR TV made by Samsung in 2016-17.
Even those who got the range topping KS9000 TV! This is all because Samsung have not updated the software, and despite promising to do so a while back it seems like they have now started saying they never will.

In fact there will be no new updates of any kind for the KS7000/8000/9000

Anyway, it seems that a lot of people are a bit miffed off with this, I myself am quite disappointed, there are also several other features of the TV (which were mentioned on a lot of sites at the time it was sold) which are never coming either and as such its a fairly easy process to get a full refund as credit, some people are ever getting a bit more than that to the point where its a case of putting forward 200 quid or so for a 55 inch LG B7 OLED TV.

No obviously this is quite a turn around and it's very tempting, although there are things I don't like about the LG's or am worried about, they are:

• Footprint of the stand (takes up a lot of room where as I have the soundbar under my KS7000 at the moment)
  • Compatibility with my Samsung K650 Wireless soundbar/subwoofer in general is a concern for me
  • I love the tidyness and simplicity of the OneConnect box
  • Reports of burn in

This lead me down the path of exploring what options there were in the Samsung world (even though i'm a bit miffed, the newer TV's support HLG on iPlayer and see Soundbar and oneconnect points above)

Initial research seems to make me think the replacement for my TV was a Q7F.

Downsides I can see to that are:
  • The Q7F is apparently a bit of a backward step? infact lots of reviews seem to flat out say its worse than the model from the previous year?
  • Samsung seems to have pretty much dumped 49 inch in favour for 55 on this Medium-High range of TVs?
  • The stand for that TV also looks super annoying in terms of how much of my unit it will take up.

So I suppose, what i'm looking for is, Is any one in the same situation? what have you gone for? does anyone have experience of all the TV's above?

The legislation that allows a refund I believe means you can make these claims up to 6 years after sale, so maybe i should ride out the World Cup (boo) and then wait for new models later this year?

Soldato
OP
Are you really bothered about HLG for iPlayer ? If you are happy with your TV apart from this why change Just for one thing. My LG B6 has no HDR with YouTube which my KS7000 did. Always going to be something missing or something better added. Adaptive V-Sync comes out next year too....
More worried about support ending after a 18 months on a premium tv so Zero chance of adaptive vsync.
It doesnt support HLG over HDMI officially either

if it possible to get a refund and you wait, you'll get further reductions pro-rata for the use you have had of the tv .. so better sooner ?? and see if you can make it up to the price of an oled, or, if there are still any 2017 sony xe's - top of the lcd tree (pending reviews on panasonic fx750)

The hlg bbc broadcasts are a one-off too, they're not producing material(just pe2) that they might broadcast ... so can't see a pursuasive refund argument that tv is unable to receive mainstream broadcasts.

They arent a one off. All 4k content is coming in that way from BBC and they have confirmed it.

HLG has effectively won as a HDR format for broadcast

Also as above more telling is the lack of future support. Means no more youtube updates bug fixes etc

As far as the refund, the way you do it is on the mis selling side with regards to them selling it as a Smart things extender which Smasung have dropped (they broke it in an update) and arent fixing.
Every retailer advertised the feature at sale.

Theres a 360 page thread about it on Samsung Official forum and so far several have had a lot of sucess with Richer sounds via that route

Soldato
OP
Have you read the thread? The back isn't coming off ( that was someone else) and the Smartthings thing is essentially a legally legit way of getting it swapped on the basis that Samsung have also dumped a lot of other features and support for a 18 month old TV (which are harder to prove)
It doesn't work with HLG HDR which was promised in an update and is never coming now (confirmed by Samsung themselves).
Its effectively killed off the TV way earlier than it should have, bearing in mind this is a Migh-Mid range model that was originally 1.2k for a 50 inch screen.

Meanwhile, Poloroid TVs (like 500 quid ones) from 2016 have been updated for HLG.....
As have literally every other brand

Soldato
OP
Should be getting replaced with a B7 OLED this week :) (and cash their way to make up diff between purchase price and current price of the B7)

Soldato
OP
All done, £500 their way (i only paid £799 for the KS7000 on Black Friday) they knocked off £100 towards the B7.

Amazing Customer services really. Looking forward to the jump from LED to OLED and 49" to 55"...
Arriving Monday :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi Mate,

Firstly check here https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5...rs-refund/td-p/358805/highlight/false/page/56

But really, as liek me, you purchased in RS you should have a much easier time of it.

I started it all off with a reasonably informal email where basically I said, Look, I purchased the KS7000 (8000 for you) for you from you and it was advertised at the time that it would work as a "smart things extender" which doesn't actually exist and Samsung have said it never will as they have stopped software support for this TV.
Obviously i'm very unhappy about this and the fact that no updates are coming after (insert number of months here) and as I understand I'm entitled to a full refund for miss-selling.

Provide this link as well:, its a archived version of the page at the time and I found the one for your screen:

https://web.archive.org/web/2016112...t/tv---all/samsung/ue65ks8000/sams-ue65ks8000

With all that you wont have much trouble, although they might try some silly business at first with regards to offering a straight swap for a TV that's not as good.

If I was you I wouldn't accept a Q8F (the newer version of a KS8000, most people seem to say the Q series is a bit a downward step in terms of PQ)

Soldato
OP
John Lewis are more difficult but I think people are starting to make way with them now.

At the end of the day the law is on your side, any one that goes to ASA end up with a letter recommending full refund

Soldato
OP
#theoledgrassisgreener.

nonetheless RS can legitimately impose a pro-rata refund on use you have had, apparently 20% chez curry's p/a (what % of the perceived value is the iot hub)
Actually, No they can't, not in the case of miss-selling.

Full credit or full cash refund

Soldato
OP
Well that was easy, fair play to Richer Sounds. Dropped my Samsung off, nice new shiny 2018 LG OLED due tomorrow :)

Thanks again Eliot!
That's awesome nice one, In someways its good you paid full price at the time as obviously it dictated what you can get now :p

RS were great and I will makes sure I always buy my TV's from there

Which exact model you go for?

Soldato
OP
Sorry to somewhat hijack the thread, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I've got a Samsung JS9000 TV, the previous generation to the KS series. Unfortunately, over the last few months a fault has developed and continued to get worse, to the point where I contacted Richer Sounds regarding a repair or replacement under the five year guarantee. The fault is known as 'flashlighting', where the edge-lit LED array on the left and right of the sreen starts to shine through.

Richer Sounds have offered me a panel replacement, but I've got it on good authority that Samsung no longer manufacture or stock new panels for the JS-series TVs, so I'm definitely going to get a refurbished panel that's been taken out of another customer's returned JS-series TV and refurbished to be used in another TV. I'm not very happy with the resolution they've offered. I'm concerned that I might get a panel that's just as bad, or worse, or that a refurbished panel could be quite likely to develop a similar fault in the future. I know I'm not entitled to a replacement set, but I've heard that other people have had success with Richer Sounds by digging their heels in and insisting on a replacement rather than a repair. What would you guys do in my situation?
I might be wrong here, but I believe the refund for miss-selling I did may also be a route for you

Soldato
OP
Agree,

It's hard to look back when you have a TV which is correctly recognising all 3 forms of HDR.

Blacks night vs day as well.
And you can get in on the iPlayer World Cup trial too :)

Back
Top Bottom