dilemma: should I go for new job or stay where I am?

Associate
I started looking for new job because in my current job, there was no progression and no skill expansion. So i have a job. What is the problem?

I have gotten used to the current environment. It is a good one, also like someone and would miss them. When i told my manager, he said that he doesnt want me to go and proposed I stay and do the things I like.

The new job will have some repetitive nature (same as current job) but it will put me on a career ladder of what I want to do web development plus give me transferable skills to other jobs in the future. (Current job is unique in that you cannot take those skills elsewhere)

Associate
OP
well there is a scope for progression, i.e. real programming as oppose to pseudo-programming,.

I only told them when I got an offer and they then gave me a counter offer.

Also I am trying to leave on a best term by saying I will be coming back in a couple of years time, or that they can hire me as a free-lancer working weekends etc.

I think in my heart/mind, I know that I should move on, its just that this will be my "first" real job in terms of web development and I am freaking out about what happens if they sack me. Believe or not, this actually happened (or nearly happened) in my previous job.

Prev job was my first proper job (lasted a month or so) but my senior devs didnt give me a chance to learn, they would pick up on my mistakes and tell manager. It was like my every move was watched and so they asked me to voluntarily resign but I didnt, cuz I thought I could make it. But after that, I got this current job.

So I am scared what if I make mistakes etc and they let me go. Although my manager seemed nice.

Also there is someone I like in this company..

PS> please tell me I am being NAIVE when I said this to my current employers

"How about keeping me on as a free-lancer, I can work during weekend"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom