Dilemma

Associate
If you've been privy to highly confidential information that you've been sworn to secrecy about, but know is going to affect the employment of a close friend of 27 years. What do you do? Abide by the sworn oath, or tell your friend in confidence?

Associate
OP
Would the friend welcome the news, if he or she had advanced notice could they mitigate the affect?

Could they be trusted not to grass?

I think my friend would appreciate the news, and would be able to use it to plan in advance moves to mitigate the affect. They can be trusted.
But I'd be betraying the trust of another friend with this highly privileged information.

Associate
OP
Keep silent. If you tell your friend you will be found out. You will then be fired. This happens all the time to managers. They've got to keep smiling when they know half their department will be cut. And remember that the future is not set: your friend may be given a reprieve.

FFS! Your other friend will also be fired. You can plausibly not know about it, therefore you don't know about it.

I think you're getting the impression I'm talking about a redundancy list, it's a bit bigger than that, and when the **** goes down it won't matter who knows.

Associate
OP
HEY GUYS, THIS VERY SECRET THING WHICH MIGHT BACKFIRE ON ME AND MY FRIEND AND PERHAPS OTHER AREAS OF MY LIFE ... SO, WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO, APART FROM KEEP THE EVIDENCE OF SUCH QUESTION AND SUBSEQUENT ACTION ON AN OPEN FORUM? ANY ADVICE? MAKE SURE ITS THERE FOR ANYONE TO SEE!

Dude. Dude.

Last time I checked my real name is not Moomalade. Can you figure out who I am and where I work?

Associate
OP
If I'm reading this right that you and the friend who told you don't officially know this information (and it potentially affects you too) then just tell your mate of 27 years too... the secret is out already, your mate wasn't supposed to know and he told you, others probably know too etc... **** it, do your friend of 27 years a favour.

Yeah, agreed. Some things are just more important. It's been interesting getting this sort of high level insight. It's good to be able to affect change without being caught behind the curve.

Thanks everybody for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom