Dinner recipes

Associate
I used to love cooking dinner in the evening.

However over the last few years, dinners have become a little repetitive and I've lost my love for it. It's got to the point, all I'm eating for dinner is something on toast, a sandwich or pizza.

Hit me up with some recipes ideas please? Something I can knock up in no more than an hour.

Last edited:
If just for yourself, I find it much better to batch cook some things. Most of the time I'm unwilling to spend the time required to make something good, or it's expensive due to packet sizes/potential food waste if I'm just cooking for myself, when I'm perfectly happy with a sandwich.

But spending a bit longer at the weekend and slow cooking some meat, chilli, roasts, curry or pasta sauce etc, to then freeze as portions and just fresh cook the bits that freeze badly during the week has made me much more willing to do it.
Also means I likely have 3-6 different nice meals ready to go at a moments notice so helps me not give in to cravings of take away/pizza since I could be eating by the time I'm done ordering/going to the shop.

A real simple recipe from sorted food on YouTube.

Tin of beans/bean salad (not heinz, ones without a sauce), tin of chopped tomatoes, microwave rice or some cooked rice, cut up chorizo sausage. Put in a dish, mix up, cook for 25-45 minutes depending on how much/thick youre making (I double it up and add a couple normal sausages too so do 40-45 minutes).

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it considering I'm no fan of beans.

Last edited:
Have a look at this channel.

Food Wishes

And this
Brian Lagerstrom weeknighting (a subset of Brian's full channel, but this is for quick tasty dinners)

Note these are American, so they are using kosher salt in their recipes. My advice is to order a box or two from Sous Chef or the rainforest. Easier than trying to adjust for table salt.

Last edited:
Have a look at this channel.

Food Wishes

And this
Brian Lagerstrom weeknighting (a subset of Brian's full channel, but this is for quick tasty dinners)

Note these are American, so they are using kosher salt in their recipes. My advice is to order a box or two from Sous Chef or the rainforest. Easier than trying to adjust for table salt.

You shouldn’t be using table salt when cooking. Just use sea salt.

Kosher salt = sea salt/rock salt. Get maldon you can get it from any supermarket though and is ‘certified’ kosher.

Last edited:
No point using Maldon when you’re going to lose the texture in the dish. I used table all the time and Maldon to finish.

Some of my simple regular recipes below:

Baked mint rice with pomegranate and olive salsa

Serves six but good for left overs. I usually have it with some steamed broccoli.

400g basmati rice
50g unsalted butter, melted
800ml boiling water
50g mint (40g left on the sprigs; leaves shredded for the remaining 10g. to use in the salsa)
150g feta, crumbled into 1-2cm pieces
salt and black pepper

SALSA
40g pitted green olives, thinly sliced
Seeds from 1 small pomegranate (90g)
50g walnut halves, lightly roasted and roughly broken
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 small garlic clove, crushed
  1. Preheat the oven to 230°C fan, or as high as your oven will go.
  2. Place the rice in a high-sided ovenproof dish, measuring 20 x 30cm. Season with ¾ teaspoon of salt and plenty of pepper, then pour over the butter and boiling water. Top with the sprigs of mint and cover the dish tightly with tin foil so that the rice is well sealed. Bake for 25 minutes, until the rice is light and fluffy and all the liquid has been absorbed.
  3. Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the salsa, minus the 10g shredded mint, in a medium bowl with ¼ teaspoon of salt. Mix well and set aside.
  4. Take the rice out of the oven, and remove and discard the foil. Pull the leaves off the mint sprigs - the stalks can be discarded - then place these back on the rice and sprinkle with the feta. Just before serving, stir the shredded mint into the salsa and spoon evenly over the rice. Serve hot.

Goats cheese, spinach and walnut pasta

• 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 200g dried pasta shapes (such as penne, fusilli, casarecce)
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 150g soft mild goat's cheese, broken into pieces (check it's vegetarian if you need it to be
  • 50g walnut halves, roughly chopped
  • 700ml hot vegetable stock
  • Whole nutmeg for grating
  • 100g baby spinach leaves
  • Grated zest ½ lemon to serve

1. Heat the oil in a medium-large saucepan. Add the onion and fry gently for 5-6 minutes until slightly softened and golden. Add the pasta, garlic, goat's cheese, walnuts and veg stock.

2. Stir briefly and season with a generous grating of nutmeg and some salt and black pepper.

3.Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook without a lid over a medium heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is just cooked with a little bite lal dente). By now the stock will have been absorbed by the pasta and created a lightly creamy sauce.

4. Stir the spinach into the pasta to wilt, then taste for seasoning, adding more if needed. Serve in bowls garnished with lemon zest, more nutmeg, a twist of pepper and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.

I’ve got a korma recipe too but can’t upload the picture from my phone. If the above are your sort of thing then I can have a look at some of my others.

Last edited:
I have tried converting between salts, but found it easier just to use kosher. It's easy enough to get a box and it makes it so much simpler. Also kosher doesn't always mean 'certified' by a rabbi or whatever, in Diamond Crystal's case it just means the salt they use to kosher the meat.

The Maldon is Rabbi 'certified' though according to Google, although I don't think it's a great direct replacement for diamond crystal

However over the last few years, dinners have become a little repetitive and I've lost my love for it. It's got to the point, all I'm eating for dinner is something on toast, a sandwich or pizza.

Hit me up with some recipes ideas please? Something I can knock up in no more than an hour.
Carbonara is my go to for something quick and easy, made properly of course.

Vincenzo's Plate on Youtube is a good resource for Italian cooking I find.

Not all that quick but i like this dish personally, makes 5 or 6 servings

This is very close to a Hairy Bikers recipe, you can modify it by adding potatoes or other veg

pack of 8 thick sausages
about 4 slices of bacon ( chopped up small )
small butternut squash ( chopped up into small cubes or just rough cut )
2 onions ( chopped up into small cubes or just rough cut )
1 garlic clove ( crushed )
olive oil ( about 6 table spoons )
2 400g cans haricot beans ( drained and washed )
250ml passata ( get a high quality one )
1 large bell pepper ( sliced )
worcestershire sauce ( couple of tea spoons )
BBQ sauce ( couple of table spoons )
dried sage ( a good table spoon )
paprika

put the sausages, bacon, onions, pepper, sage, olive oil, paprika, butternut squash in large dish, stir it so the oil covers it and cook in oven for 30 minutes at 180
give it a stir a couple of times during cooking

then mix the beans and rest of ingredients in a bowl and add salt and pepper

mix with the sausage dish and put back in oven for another 20 minutes, stir a couple of times during cooking

trying to find simple good dinner recipes that dont cost the earth is so overly complicated. you would think with the internet it would be as easy as possible. most sites are either filled with crap or overly expensive dishes to make for a simple dinner. with how food prices are you would think there would be more simple down to earth recipe websites.

Back
Top Bottom