Direct X 10 hardware requirements...

Associate
Was just wondering what current hardware would be acceptable for the upcoming direct x 10 and vista?
Would for example an x850 and a 3gig chip be ok?
I know its a long way off but i was just wondering if anyone has any details on it? :)

Baba

Soldato
I dont think any current gfx card will *fully* suppose it, they will be limited to DirectX 9 stuff, or poor performance DX10.

The true DX10 cards we think are the next gen R600 from ATi and G80 from nVidia.

But as DX10 will take a while, along with Vista to be supported by games, XP will have some life left in it yet :)

Conc

Associate
well from what i have heard DX 10 is not backward compatible with 9/8/7 etc.
I would have though that no current graphics card will be able to play DX10 games when they come mout, unless the developers code for both 10 and 9..??

Associate
OP
I guess its still well over a year till vista is released. Cant see Microsoft ditching XP though, too many millions will be using it for many years to come. Heck there are still people on '98!! :)

Baba

Soldato
well the release date i heard was ment to be between 30th september to 1st december but this date has been steadily pushed back for ages now. along with the new features being cut more and more. (so says the inq).

Soldato
iraiguana said:
well the release date i heard was ment to be between 30th september to 1st december but this date has been steadily pushed back for ages now. along with the new features being cut more and more. (so says the inq).

According to MS the release date of the operating system: Vista will be released on November 15th 2006. So I expect Dx10 will be included in the OS :)

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
think vista should come as a 64bit version only. end 32bit altogether while they are at it.
Vista will be a 64bit OS with no support for 32bit operations, Longhorn (or whatever its now being called) will offer 32bit and 64bit support though.

Microsoft are finally trying to phase out 32bit computing.

if i can find my latest copy of PC Format i'll give you a bit more info, as i'm sure there's a semi-large artical in there.

Last edited:
Soldato
DizzyEgg said:
So you think DirectX 10 cards will be out in November?

Nobody knows, but it may be worth bearing in mind that the Radeon 9700 Pro was released in August/September of 2002 and DirectX 9 itself wasn't released until December 2002.

Therefore it's reasonable to conclude that Vista and DX10 don't need to be available for DX10 supporting cards to be available also :)

nikebee said:
Vista will be a 64bit OS with no support for 32bit operations, Longhorn (or whatever its now being called) will offer 32bit and 64bit support though.

Microsoft are finally trying to phase out 32bit computing.

if i can find my latest copy of PC Format i'll give you a bit more info, as i'm sure there's a semi-large artical in there.

Er...? Longhorn is the codename for Vista. Vista will be available in both 32-bit and x64 flavours (and it is already in beta form), much like XP is today.

I think you're getting a bit confused here ;) Maybe you mean Blackcomb which has now been re-codenamed Windows Vienna.

Soldato
Phemo said:
Nobody knows, but it may be worth bearing in mind that the Radeon 9700 Pro was released in August/September of 2002 and DirectX 9 itself wasn't released until December 2002.

Therefore it's reasonable to conclude that Vista and DX10 don't need to be available for DX10 supporting cards to be available also :)

Er...? Longhorn is the codename for Vista. Vista will be available in both 32-bit and x64 flavours (and it is already in beta form), much like XP is today.

I think you're getting a bit confused here ;) Maybe you mean Blackcomb which has now been re-codenamed Windows Vienna.

ah yes, sorry it was Vienna i was on about being 64bit only... i always seem to get confused between the fact that Longhorn was renamed Vista and Vienna is a separate OS (i always think Vista was the seperate OS, and Longhorn got renamed Vienna... which i never seem to remember)...

anyway, i'm finding it hard to find it in PC Format... maybe it was another mag i read it in :confused:
although Wikipedia reports Vienna as being backwards compatible with 32bit but very doubtful that DOS apps and 16bit apps will run at all.

although to be fair, making assumptions on an Opterating system that is slated for a 2010 or 2011 release is quite stupid.

back to Vista/Longhorn... it is 32-bit and 64-bit compatible after all... excuse my 'tardness :o

Associate
DX10 on vista will emulate dx9 so you can play current games with your existing hardware. the performance hit is not expected to be too bad.

DX10 has been built from scratch, unlike the previous versions which were only given updated code based on DX5. So true dx10 cards will offer a 10 - 40% performance increase on native dx10 games (according to MS) such as Halo2

Associate
I was reading on the BBC we site that Microsft are only gonna release Halo2 on the pc for Vista machines... no support whatsoever for XP or earlier version.. seems like a cunning ploy to me... Halo2 being a decent game n all.... means you'll HAVE to upgrade to vista if you wanna play it... as for DX10 well who knows.. the likliehood is that developers already have the specs and will build DX10 features into the next gen of cards...

Back
Top Bottom