• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Directx 12 and async compute

Associate
Hi all,

I ordered a Gigabyte g1 1080 a while ago and have a delivery date for the end of next week.
Since it's been on order i have read on the net that it doesn't do Directx 12 or async compute properly, where as amd 480 does. Would i be better cancelling and waiting for the quicker amd stuff?
My system currently has a 2500k processor and im gaming at 1080p, sold my hd5770 so without a card at the moment but could wait till the end of he year early next. Stuff i will be playing will be the command and conquer series, dawn of war series,company of heroes series, supreme commander series, homeworld series, ashes of a singularity, grey goo and metal gear solid v. i may also upgrade to a 1440p or 4k monitor in the future.

any advise appreciated:)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply's, So there is no problems with directx 12 and async compute on nvidia stuff they just do it differently to amd.

Associate
OP
There isn't much to suggest Nvidia can do async compute, Nvidia claimed repeatedly that Maxwell supports async compute which it clearly, very clearly doesn't. Pascal to most people seems to not support async compute, what they've tried to do though is minimise the penalty for context switching with improved pre-emption, but this is not async which on a fundamental level one of it's main purposes is to replace pre-emption and the performance impact it brings. Async compute brought huge benefits for GCN vs Maxwell and as yet there is nothing to indicate Pascal makes anywhere near as big gains as AMD from DX12 and specifically from async compute.

There are also other DX12 features that are likely to be used that Nvidia doesn't support and a couple honestly very basic features Nvidia support that AMD don't but that are unlikely to be used heavily and not expensive to do on shaders anyway.

That's the thing thats been niggling me as more DX12, async compute and maybe vulkan titles come out. Thanks for the replys youve been most helpful. It doesnt bother me whether i have nvidia or amd in my pc i've had both in the past.

Back
Top Bottom