• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Associate
Just some clarification:

Directx = Microsoft
OpenGL = Khronos Group
Mantle = AMD

Nvida Cards support: Directx, OpenGL
AMD Cards support: Directx, OpenGL, Mantle

BUT

• The majority of AMD Cards currently on the market are not DX12 enabled.
  • DirectX 12 (and D3D 12) are backwards compatible with virtually every single GPU from the GTX 400 to the present day.

Caporegime
Yawn.

That's incredibly pot-kettle coming from you DM. Honestly, sometimes I forget you're not 12. I know they're clamping down on arguing on this sub section but you go out of your way to tangent about absolutely nothing.

"yet no problems"

Beyond help is what you are :)

Few key points here.

You wrote off G-Sync because AMD displayed a couple of Toshiba notebooks at an expo

You wrote off Denver because it didn't appear on a presentation slide.
I'm off out, but reflect.

Seriously are you delusional?

no problems at all is that what I said? Context is everything, the post was ENTIRELY on low level API causing over heating. In regards to posts about DX12 potentially causing problems. Mantle has caused no overheating problems compared to DX11, there is no way to misinterpret the intent or meaning of the post. You have once again purposefully misquoted me, it is nothing short of lying. Considering DX12/Mantle have the same goal/result, low level api with less cpu overhead causing more gpu usage it is 100% relevant and points out how stupid the DX12 causing overheating argument is.

I wrote off g-sync, no I didn't, you are again lying. At no point have I written off g-sync, you will not find me saying so, I said it's pretty much pointless to ME and SO IS FREESYNC. The tech behind the frame pacing required for both is interesting to me, nothing more or less. It has no benefit at 120hz/120fps. For me to write off g-sync because I favour freesync requires implicitly that I think freesync is great... I don't. The costs of either don't change the underlying usefulness or not of the tech. I have written neither off, nor do I want either. I merely stated and was attacked, broadly, by you and multiple other Nvidia guys for saying Nvidia couldn't possibly in any way patent variable refresh rate. I was personally attacked and told I was wrong.... my ONLY posts in regards to the Toshiba demonstration were that they categorically proved me right. Nvidia could not patent such tech, they could not prevent AMD doing it and AMD could do it via open standards.

I wrote off Denver because it wasn't on a presentation slide, again, you are flat out lying, I did not say this. I specifically pointed out that PARKER not Denver, being missing is interesting and could represent MANY different possibilities, 16nm being delayed, Nvidia having problems with 16nm, could mean it's cancelled, could be other things. It also has nothing to do with "writing off" the core. Even if the core was cancelled it doesn't mean the core is "bad", it could not suit the market it's aimed at, it could be Haswell fast but use 20W and therefore just not work in any market it's aimed at.

Please stop purposefully lying about what I've posted.

I do like that your preamble to lying about what I've said is questioning my age, or some kind of personal attack before misrepresenting what I've said, then listing several other lies as if to back up the first lie.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just some clarification:

Directx = Microsoft
OpenGL = Khronos Group
Mantle = AMD

Nvida Cards support: Directx, OpenGL
AMD Cards support: Directx, OpenGL, Mantle

BUT

• The majority of AMD Cards currently on the market are not DX12 enabled.
  • DirectX 12 (and D3D 12) are backwards compatible with virtually every single GPU from the GTX 400 to the present day.

Every AMD gpu you can buy today and every new gpu for the past 2-3 years will support DX12.
NO Nvidia gpu's are DX12 enabled, there is no DX12 released yet.

When DX12 launches in over 18 months, the majority of all gpu's for the previous 4+ years from both companies will support it. Not an awful lot of people looking for high end gaming will have a gpu not capable of supporting most, but not all of DX12.

You're misrepresenting the facts, choosing the word enabled for AMD when it's not out while claiming Nvidia support for something that isn't out. DX12 is enabled on nothing at all yet. It will work for the majority of both companies relevant cards when it is finally out.

The 5870, the last major release, from Sept 2009 would be the last major generation to not support DX12(as it stands now, in 18 months support may have been added) for an API released effectively at the start of 2016. 6970 would be the last minor bump from the 5870 not to support it. The 7970 onwards, launched in Jan 2012, would support DX12 which will release 4 years later.

DX12 will be entirely irrelevant to people with older cards by that time anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Every AMD gpu you can buy today and every new gpu for the past 2-3 years will support DX12.

Lol, you just made that up..

The official line has been that AMD cards from GCN onwards (HD 7XXX) will be DX12 compatible, and Nvidia cards from Fermi onwards (GTX4XX) will be DX12 compatible.

Newer architecture possibly on 20nm (If we ever get it) will have more compatibility with DX12, perhaps some exclusive features, (For marketing purposes, I mean they still want to sell new GPU's) but those cards mentioned above ^^ will be compatible with DX12.

So until we hear something different..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

When DX12 launches in over 18 months, the majority of all gpu's for the previous 4+ years from both companies will support it. Not an awful lot of people looking for high end gaming will have a gpu not capable of supporting most, but not all of DX12.

You're misrepresenting the facts, choosing the word enabled for AMD when it's not out while claiming Nvidia support for something that isn't out. DX12 is enabled on nothing at all yet. It will work for the majority of both companies relevant cards when it is finally out.

The 5870, the last major release, from Sept 2009 would be the last major generation to not support DX12(as it stands now, in 18 months support may have been added) for an API released effectively at the start of 2016. 6970 would be the last minor bump from the 5870 not to support it. The 7970 onwards, launched in Jan 2012, would support DX12 which will release 4 years later.

DX12 will be entirely irrelevant to people with older cards by that time anyway.

+1

Soldato
OP

The official line has been that AMD cards from GCN onwards (HD 7XXX) will be DX12 compatible, and Nvidia cards from Fermi onwards (GTX4XX) will be DX12 compatible.

And in two years time do you really think a Guy with GTX4 is going to be running latest DX12 games?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Newer architecture possibly on 20nm (If we ever get it) will have more compatibility with DX12, perhaps some exclusive features, but those cards mentioned above will be compatible with DX12.

No I don't think he is making that up. Pretty logical.

Soldato
And in two years time do you really think a Guy with GTX4 is going to be running latest DX12 games?

Not sure what relevance that has to the cards being DX12 compatible. Whether people use older cards or no isn't my concern lol. I'll upgrade regardless for more hardware grunt..

The official line is GTX 4XX onwards for Nvidia and HD 7XXX onwards for AMD.

Why people getting bent out of shape over this?

Soldato
OP
Not sure what relevance that has to the cards being DX12 compatible. Whether people use older cards or no isn't my concern lol. I'll upgrade regardless for more hardware grunt..

The difference between supported and running the game is completely different.

I had a old very cheap GPU for another system that also claimed it was DX11 but could it hell even run CSGO at more than 15fps lol see my point?

Don

It's obvious why they are getting flustered, AMD do not support from what we know dx12 on as many previous generations as Nvidia. For some strange reason they feel the need to defend AMD by trashing Nvidia for this.

Soldato
OP
It's obvious why they are getting flustered, AMD do not support from what we know dx12 on as many previous generations as Nvidia. For some strange reason they feel the need to defend AMD by trashing Nvidia for this.

No I feel the need to defend a smart move from AMD not to support GPU line up that wouldn't have a good enough experience running a DX12 game.

What is the point? Lets support a HD 4950 but good look running BF6 in DX12 lol

Soldato

Didn't even consider that. Damn people aren't really this petty are they?

Most of us here will upgrade each gen at some point anyway. A petty mind is a small one..

Soldato
OP

Most of us here will upgrade each gen at some point anyway. A petty mind is a small one..

Another point
They is a lot gamers out there that already find it hard to pick a new GPU. Will this one be ok, or will this one run this game etc you hear it all the time.

All Nvidia is doing is making the choice harder on some buyers "O cool a GTX4 it has DX12 this must run the latest and greatest"

Caporegime
Boomstick, Your really scraping the bottom of the barrel making such a huge issue out of the fact that a card an Nvidia cards now 3 generations out of date can run DX12 while AMD's old generation can't.

Oh wait. its Nvidia making a huge issue out of it, Boomstick is just playing follow the leader.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Newer architecture possibly on 20nm (If we ever get it) will have more compatibility with DX12, perhaps some exclusive features, (For marketing purposes, I mean they still want to sell new GPU's) but those cards mentioned above ^^ will be compatible with DX12.

I'll just ask, which bit did I make up that you quoted? Because you will find that I said everything AMD have released in the past 2+ years, which is GCN, supports DX12.

Read my post, the person I was responding to was saying the majority of current AMD card's aren't enabled for DX12, the SAME(not different) is true of Nvidia cards. Nothing is "enabled" for DX12 till DX12 is out. He was using the term enabled(suggesting current support) to seem like AMD has little to no support while comparing it to Nvidia's future support in 18 months. The like for like comparison is neither Nvidia nor AMD support any DX12 functionality, in 18 months when it's released everything anyone games on will be DX12 compatible. Please explain what I said that was incorrect?

Because you accused me of making something up and didn't even directly refer to what was made up.

Please explain where I trashed Nvidia at all? By saying neither Nvidia nor AMD would have any cards DX12 enabled till DX12 is released? This was trashing Nvidia?

What's petty is you accused me of making something up, without actually stating what I made up, while ignoring the intent of my post completely. Now between 3 posts two of you have decided to basically call me petty and accuse me of trashing Nvidia and making stuff up. Yet I made nothing up.

Someone else said that the majority of AMD cards aren't enabled, trying to push the impression there will be little support for DX12 on AMD cards over 18 months from now when it launches. This was quite clearly both incorrect and purposefully misleading. I gave a similar statement, but fairer to compare both like for like.

Caporegime
Boomstick, Your really scraping the bottom of the barrel making such a huge issue out of the fact that a card an Nvidia cards now 3 generations out of date can run DX12 while AMD's old generation can't.

You mean like how AMD fanboys such as yourself made huge issues out of AMD supporting DX10.1, DX11.1 etc? it was usually one of the main selling points you guys used and reasons not to buy NVidia. They never made any tangible difference in reality whereas DX12 will, but now that the shoe is on the other foot it's no big deal.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You mean like how AMD fanboys such as yourself made huge issues out of AMD supporting DX10.1, DX11.1 etc? it was usually one of the main selling points you guys used and reasons not to buy NVidia. They never made any tangible difference in reality whereas DX12 will, but now that the shoe is on the other foot it's no big deal.

The only reason we need to buy AMD over Nvidia is good sense. :D

Soldato
The only reason we need to buy AMD over Nvidia is good sense. :D

So AMD cards can use shadowplay and stream via GPU to twitch? I think not. Each brand has different values and there are pro's and con's from each brand. Mantle / Shadowplay. For me shadowplay is a HUGE thing as mantle / trueaudio will be for others.

When people compare similar GTX cards we are generally talking a difference of what...5% between cards? I'd say price / features is far more important than a measly few percent points.

Back
Top Bottom