"Dirty Disc Error" on xbox 360

Soldato
Does anyone else experience this issue? I've been experiencing it for the last year on certain games and now i get it on every single game i play. I've looked at sending the console off to be repaired but they want to charge me £50! I've contacted Microsoft and they were completely and utterly useless. I couldn't understand a word the woman on the phone and she told me i'd need to pay the money because my console was out of warranty.

Am I wrong in thinking this issue has the same root cause as the red ring of death for which they've extended their warranty? I've looked online and it seems to be a common issue, i've tried all the suggested fixes but nothing has fixed it :(

Caporegime
Most likely the DVD drive is buggered. I had a similar problem and got it changed.

Or your a manky git and leave the discs lying on the floor :p

Soldato
Your problem has no connection with the RROD.

Try a lens cleaner. I also read something ages ago how setting your system time could help but don't take my word for that.

Or you pay the £50 for a repair.

Soldato
I've had this on one of my 360's, ended up needing to be replaced. It's not covered under the 3yr warranty so you'll have to pay for it.

They probably should have extended the warranty for this as well as red rings, because the disc read error seems to also be very common with 360's.

You should have got it sorted when it first happened tbh. :p

Associate
Is your 360 standing on its side? I had this problem with mine, so i put it horizontally on top of my dvd player and i havent had a problem since.

Soldato
I get this every now and then but only with rock band :confused:

Just says disc can not be read while loading a song, I restart the game, go to the same song and then it's fine.

It's annoying but as long as it doesn't get worse, I'll live with it.

Soldato
OP
Most likely the DVD drive is buggered. I had a similar problem and got it changed.

Or your a manky git and leave the discs lying on the floor :p

Lol, nope, this was even with some games straight out of the case first time i'd played them!

I've had this on one of my 360's, ended up needing to be replaced. It's not covered under the 3yr warranty so you'll have to pay for it.

They probably should have extended the warranty for this as well as red rings, because the disc read error seems to also be very common with 360's.

You should have got it sorted when it first happened tbh.

You're right - I should have, but back then i thought it was just the one disc and my FM2 disc was a bit knackered - quite how i don't know because i've never left it out of its case.

Is your 360 standing on its side? I had this problem with mine, so i put it horizontally on top of my dvd player and i havent had a problem since.

Used to be - it's horizontal now and if anything it's got worse!

If you're getting the problem now i'd get it sorted!

I'll try the blowing in the case thing but at the moment my amplifier is dead so i can't even test it out :(

Soldato
Xbox 360's are unreliable pieces of junk.

I've had 2 RROD's, A DVD failure and the drive on this one is on the way out as well.
I wouldnt bother, but i invested so much cash in it on the release day and in the first 18 months on games and peripherals that i am loath to let them go and not replace the box.

Added it up the other day when i seriously thought about getting rid of it, £1200 worth of games + the wireless adapter, hard drive add on when i first bought the core, controllers etc etc.

Soldato
I get this every now and then but only with rock band :confused:

Just says disc can not be read while loading a song, I restart the game, go to the same song and then it's fine.

It's annoying but as long as it doesn't get worse, I'll live with it.

Exactly the same problem here, no other games have the issue except RB, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the disc. For this reason I'm never going to attempt the endless setlist, I don't want to get half way through only to hit a disc read error.

Soldato
If it ever does it to a disc that's in perfect condition, then you know you have a problem. Started as just one game with me too, I was playing FN3 an awful lot so when it started I just assumed wear and tear. Wasn't too long before it started doing it with brand new games, that's obviously the point where I knew it was a console problem.

Associate
My old 360 used to scratch my discs, made a horrible noise after i went back to the dashboard or pressed the eject button.

I used to get dirty disc errors in Forza 2 all the time and sometimes Halo 3, I think it's a common problem with the 360 drive and it sucks :(

Luckily my new one is fine though

Back
Top Bottom