Disaster :/ (Qtec inside)

Soldato
Right,

My grandma gave me her camera to try and upload some photos, seeing as she couldnt get it to work. I plug the cable into the USB port and then into the camera.. no such luck.

My mum took it off me and went to try it on the downstairs pc (AMD Athlon XP 2500, 512mb ddr, 9600pro, Qtec 550w PSU :o ) As soon as she plugged the USB cable into the machine... BOOM. Smoke everywhere. I went downstairs to check out what had happened.. and my initial thought was to check that the data was still there on the hdd. Its in my pc now for safe keeping. Anyway.. i knew it was the powersupply straight away. My mum decides to try the camera + cable in her laptop.. but as soon as the cable is plugged in.. the laptop switches off.

The laptop took about 10 minutes before it could turn back on. My brother thought it could be the power cable going into the back of the qtec.. so he tries his power cable.. but the PSU blows up in his face with flames and smoke coming out the back.

I'll be giving them my 430w power supply from my machine, so my first question is
A) What power supply should i get for my rig (see sig) for around £40.

and B) What could be causing the camera cable to destroy each PC it meets?

Last edited:
well in answer to A) i'd go with either a Seasonic or enermax psu as they, and in answer to B) i'm not 100% sure why the first psu went but i'm guessing a power surge or charge from this triggered off the others. It's strange how many psu's have gone KABOOM within the last week or so

You must have a short somewhere in the cable I would think. Not quite sure why it sent the PSU over the top, I would have thought the USB power draw is so small to be insignificant.

-Leezer-

Well, I'm guessing it trys to pull too much current from somwhere & the cheapy PSU/ Laptop overloads & causes problems.
Have you tried the USB port that you used on your PC yet- Could have blown the fuse there if you're really unlucky.

Did it acutally do anything in terms of working on your PC?

-Leezer-

leezer3 said:
Well, I'm guessing it trys to pull too much current from somwhere & the cheapy PSU/ Laptop overloads & causes problems.
Have you tried the USB port that you used on your PC yet- Could have blown the fuse there if you're really unlucky.

Did it acutally do anything in terms of working on your PC?

-Leezer-

The camera didnt work no, and nothing could get detected. But as for the USB port, i just tried my mouse in there and its fine. On my grandmas PC, when the camera was plugged in, the PC froze, but when the cable comes out again it springs back to life :confused:

USB is a powered system, if the usb cable your using is faulty or the device itself it wired wrong, it could be drawing too much voltage or current through the system and overloading one of the PSU rails, it probably did a number on the laptop battery too. youl be lucky if you havent blown the USB array on the mobo to be honest but if you have, theres always PCI usb :)

Back
Top Bottom