Disney have bought Pixar..

Commissario
Or you could look at it as Apple take over Disney - Steve Jobs is now the biggest shareholder in Disney, which could mean that Apple Itunes video service gets the rights to Dsiney's content that much easier;)

On the downside, we can probably expect Toy Story 43 in a couple of years, followed closely by Finding Nemo's glasses (AKA Finding Nemo 6).

Soldato
Didn't Apple own Pixar anyway?

The main reason I can see for Disney doing this is because the relationship with Pixar was icy, Disney had begun Toy Story 3 without Pixar, so presumibly they decided they couldn't do it alone, and just brought Pixar.

Associate
Disney had a change of CEO last year, apparently he's really shaking things up - the new Disney may be different to the Disney of the last 20 years or so.

Associate
Maybe it's not so bad if Steve Jobs will be the biggest shareholder, he might be able to stop all these sequels from being churned out. Many people from the animation industry believe that disney has lost its creativity, Chicken Little was disneys attempt at a CG film and it just lacks in everything when compared to what Pixar, Dreamworks and BlueSky have done.
Pixar have done wonders for the Disney brand, they would have been silly to let them go and in my opinion probably would have struggled in the animation sector in the futrue.

Suspended
Phnom_Penh said:
I dunno, he'd probably have too much to say about how crap disney has become over the last decade.
You seem to be forgetting the period from the early eighties almost to the end of the decade, when they were producing absolute crap. What we have now is much better than what we had then - even if they are a bit sequel-crazy! Almost all of the sequels are straight-to-DVD for the die-hard fans anyway, and it doesn't seem to slow down their rate of production of cracking cinematic releases.

Suspended
Arcade Fire said:
You seem to be forgetting the period from the early eighties almost to the end of the decade, when they were producing absolute crap. What we have now is much better than what we had then - even if they are a bit sequel-crazy! Almost all of the sequels are straight-to-DVD for the die-hard fans anyway, and it doesn't seem to slow down their rate of production of cracking cinematic releases.

Didnt they stop doing films as such from the 70s right up to Little Mermaid in what must have been the very early 90s ?

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
You seem to be forgetting the period from the early eighties almost to the end of the decade, when they were producing absolute crap.
and it doesn't seem to slow down their rate of production of cracking cinematic releases.
Meh I wasn't alive then, if they were that bad I wouldn't have watched them.

Its more Pixar than Disney tbh, what "cracking cinematic releases" are you refering to?

Associate
I think it is more like Pixar buying Disney. Many key personel from Pixar have been given roles very high up the disney ranks. Steve Jobs is now the biggest board director at disney, John Lasseter is now head creative officier and advisor to the Disney themeparks!
It seems more like Disney bought Pixar to help them turn the Disney empire around.

This should help get some originality back into Disney's animation. Can only see this as a good thing. It clear who came out best in this deal.

Back
Top Bottom