Displaying digital tickets on trains?

I have asked this before but it was years ago and I never acted on it. Then most of us lost 2 years of travel and recreation anyway due to covid. So I just wanted to check with you GD guys in case anything has changed.

So... I've got nearly £250 worth of digital tickets (after railcard deduction!), all bought on Avanti's site using a desktop browser. The routes are multiple franchises: West Midlands Trains, Avanti West Coast, ScotRail, CrossCountry and TransPennine Express.

I can access the tickets either on desktop and download as PDFs, or via email with PDF attachments, or via the Avanti's Android app. All of the tickets have a QR code. When the train conductor comes, do I just display the QR code? Will all of my different franchised tickets work if I present them solely from the Avanti app? Or will I need to download apps from the other franchises and use the correct app for the franchise I'm travelling with?

I am also going to good 'ol Sunny Stoke this/next week, so I could use that as a test run before I go on my longer trips :)

Soldato
I do a lot of commuting between the UK and ROI and between the Stansted Express and the regional coach from Dublin airport, I'm forever displaying QR codes. Use my phone but always print them off personally, even if they remain stuffed in my bag, for reasons as above

I hope you don't rely on the maps function to get to your end destination, or use Google Maps either.

Imagine a time before smartphones and QR codes :cry:

Soldato
I hope you don't rely on the maps function to get to your end destination, or use Google Maps either.
The worst that happens if you can't use Google maps is you have to ask for directions though. The worst that happens if you can't show your train ticket is you could end up with a penalty fare, a fine, or even a summons to court. A lot more faff to get sorted than a lack of Google maps!

Personally I always go for paper tickets or printouts for this reason.

Soldato
The worst that happens if you can't use Google maps is you have to ask for directions though. The worst that happens if you can't show your train ticket is you could end up with a penalty fare, a fine, or even a summons to court. A lot more faff to get sorted than a lack of Google maps!
Your daughter/sister could be late for their hot date with a famous skateboarder. It was the boy of their dreams. She marries her second choice. It all goes to pot. Five years from now, she sits at home, feeding the baby, she's all alone,

She turns on TV
Guess who she sees
Skater boy rockin' up MTV
She calls up her friends
They already know
And they've all got tickets to see his show
She tags along
And stands in the crowd
Looks up at the man that she was late to meet for not charging her phone

All because they refused to keep their phone charged and had to ask for directions.

Man of Honour

Reminds me of a time maybe 20 years ago, when my wife and I flew into Hannover, then took the S-Bahn train to Hannover Hauptbahnof, to catch a high speed train to Bielefeld.
On the S-Bahn, I ditched loads of bits of paper in my hand luggage into a trash basket.
On the high speed train a ticket inspector came round, and I discovered that I’d junked the train ticket and seat reservation, my wife rolled her eyes and stared pointedly out of the window, while I scrolled through my phone and found the email, (in English!), ticket guy shook his head, handed my phone back, and walked on.

Back
Top Bottom