Dissapointed

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Monday I got an Opteron 165 shipped from my american buddy which has taken a couple of weeks of arranging (before OcUK got some) to arrive. Great I thought, so I ordered some kit to complete the upgrade. I got an Asus A8N-E, Samsung 19" TFT, 7800GT and a new 300Gb HDD for my existing 1Gb of Corsair XMS matched pair.

Put it together, mobo light on fans whirring and thats it...
took out the graphics card, still nothing no beeps. Reseated cpu, and other components. Im hoping its a dead mobo as I dont fancy shipping the opteron back but this is so frustrating.

Soldato
OP
Yes the box states X2 cpus which I assume includes the dual opty's. I would build out of case but as I put back my old components to use a computer tonight I can safely say the RAM, monitor and HDD are fine at this stage.

Also when I got it started you couldnt turn it off by holding the button in for 4-5 secs which seemed odd.

Soldato
OP
OK first of all thanks guys for responding.

The reason im ruling out the RAM is that im using it in my old rig to type this.
The psu im using is also from my old rig (Tagan 480-u01) and it has a 24-pin connector. Dace the 4-pin adapter inst on this motherboard.

I will test outside, would running it on a wooden workbench be ok or stick it on something solid plastic be better?

I cannot set shutdown capabilities as it doesnt even post or make any beeps.

Soldato
OP
n3x you made me a happy man!

That 4-pin was the problem, embarassing I know but somehow i missed it and also the 24-pin mobo connector got me thinking it never needed the 4-pin from the start.

The next hurdle was installing on a SATA drive. Took me ages as it kept looping on install and then loading up xp-cd instead of setting up windows. All this headache was for some reason the SATA hdd had to be on port 3...

OK what settings should I be changing in the BIOS for this board?

thanks

Th0nt

Soldato
OP
Yes the last overclok was a barton core and simple fsb multi tweaking with aggressive memory timings to finiah it off. The new hyperthingy and options have put me back to square one regarding overclocking so wondering what settings are to get ball rolling.

I want to achieve at first just a 2.2ghz stable overclock and i can buy a better cooler than the standard heatsink later.

Th0nt

Back
Top Bottom